VOGONS

First post, by jerrydk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just want to say that I LOVE DOSBOX!!! I tried forever to get my computer to play some of my old games and it was impossible until I stumbled across this piece of gold. Keep up the good work, you are keeping the classics alive!!!

I just downloaded this game and started it up but the text boxes will just rush by way too fast to read. I don't have the cds or diskettes for the game so I would appreciate any help you could give me on the subject.

Reply 2 of 9, by jerrydk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried to chang the refresh rates and the cycles also and neither had any effect except on the loading speed and moving the character. the text boxes still just flash by. quest for glory 1 and 3 work fine without a glitch.

Reply 3 of 9, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is probably caused by the game not being set up properly. If it looks for speech files on the CD but can't find those (either because you don't have the files at all or, if you have the files from the CD, because it's not set up properly), then this does happen. Post the contents of the game's "resource.cfg" file and tell us which directory you mount in DOSBox.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 4 of 9, by jerrydk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

videoDrv = VGA.DRV
soundDrv = SBPRO.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = NO
cmd = QG4CD
mouseDrv = NONE
memoryDrv = NONE
minMemory = 1600k
brightness = 0
language = 1
minCPU = 386
CD = yes

Is this helpful in any way?

Reply 5 of 9, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you actually have the speech files installed (really big "resource.aud" file), add the following:
audio=.\
Otherwise, try setting "CD = yes" to "CD = no"

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 6 of 9, by jerrydk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It dousn't seem to have a resource.aud file and changing the cd = yes to cd = no doesn't have any apparant difference. I also tried changeing none to mouse on mouseDrv and it still didn't work. I thought maybe it just wasn't registering the mouse correctly because it should skip to the next text box when you click the mouse.

Any other ideas?

Reply 8 of 9, by jerrydk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks A Lot. I Can't believe it was something that simple. I owe you all a great deal. Thanks.

If you don't mind, Would anybody know why when I try to run quest for glory 4 1/2 that it tells me "There was a problem initializing the graphics mode 320 x 200. (Problem: 'Resolution not suppoerted')

I'd appreciate it

Reply 9 of 9, by disturbu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have the same problem!!!
i think its a problem with the programming of dosbox tho... cuz i used vdm sound and it coused no problem except speed
(the game runs just a little too slowly for me with this type of emulator)

download it http://www.abandonia.com/utility/VDMSound%202.1.0.exe

i just want the game to be able to run as fast as dosbox allows me to with the people speaking and the text box staying up as long as i can read it

[/url]