VOGONS

First post, by MrOizo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If this should go to the "Dos/Win Applications" forum, then my apologies in advance. However, the problem I'm having is more of an OS-install issue than that to config a particular app. I've just installed Windows for Workgroups and set the display driver to either VGA or SVGA. Both times, I get "Video initialization failed. You need to run setup again".

With the install, I left out all of the networking stuff, however, I did not try to include the settings from the config.win so far as I don't know how this should work in emulation with no config.sys file being present in DOSBox.

Did anyone encounter the same issue? How did you resolve it?

Personal/overall note: DOSBox is a great program. That is not only for games but also for old applications that I used to use back in the days. Great soundcard and video emulation, you really did a good job with this. Thanks so much for the program!

Enjoy your weekend,

Mr. Oizo.

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

use vga version 3
but really don't try it.
wait till the next version. 3.11 doesn't run in 0.63

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Another note: when the new version comes out, it is way easier to use an old backup of Windows than to install it from scratch (trust me, I tried 😀)

Reply 5 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Dominus wrote:

Another note: when the new version comes out, it is way easier to use an old backup of Windows than to install it from scratch (trust me, I tried 😀)

really ? I installed 3.0 3.1 3.11w recently without a problem
just dump all the files from all disks in one directory

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

could be that it works ok now or my flawed memory. Now that I think more of it, it could be that not Windows gave me grief but the Norton Desktop installation.
http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a9848357/win311ndw.jpg <- that's my windows 3.11 with Norton Desktop installed. Those were the days when Symantec was still making good software instead of bad bloatware...
(also nice that Ghisler still makes Total Commander for Windows 3.x)