First post, by Penta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK....

2Ghz P4 with WinXP Pro.

I load a default profile into DosBox.

I try to load the game.

It pulls up a dosbox for a blink of an eye, then returns to the desktop. No error messages, no nothin.

Reply 2 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What do you mean by loading a profile in DOSBox? Are you talking about some frontend?

Wasteland has worked in DOSBox for a long time I think. It doesn't do anything all that tricky I don't think, so my guess is there's an issue with either the way you're running DOSBox or the way you've configured it...

Reply 4 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't use frontends with DOSBox, so I can't help you except to say that you're almost definitely doing something wrong (unless you have a bad copy of the game).

Reply 5 of 16, by dragonmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use norton commander instead of a frontend, its better imo, you just have to download nc and edit the dosbox.conf like this e.g.:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

mount c: h: /
mount d: d: /
mount i: i: / -t cdrom -ioctl -usecd 0
mount k: k: / -t cdrom -ioctl -usecd 1
mount A: A: / -t floppy
c: /
cd nc
nc

Reply 6 of 16, by Lochmacher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use D-Fend and it works slick, even with the latest release 😀 You might want to disable XMS and EMS (they won't be needed and can cause older games, such as Darklands for example, to bug out with too much memory...) Also, there is a difference with the renderer's and their options based on systems. My settings are:

Autolock Mouse
Double buffer

Openglnb (Nvidia card, so preferred, surface also works)
advinterpx2 (again, none should work with any system)
Hardware Scaling 2.0 (1.0 should work with any)

8000 cycles
NO EMS or XMS!! Will cause crash!! (Usually mid-game... very annoying as game is not meant for sooo much memory 😀 ).

Reply 7 of 16, by Penta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Lochmacher wrote:
I use D-Fend and it works slick, even with the latest release :) You might want to disable XMS and EMS (they won't be needed an […]
Show full quote

I use D-Fend and it works slick, even with the latest release 😀 You might want to disable XMS and EMS (they won't be needed and can cause older games, such as Darklands for example, to bug out with too much memory...) Also, there is a difference with the renderer's and their options based on systems. My settings are:

Autolock Mouse
Double buffer

Openglnb (Nvidia card, so preferred, surface also works)
advinterpx2 (again, none should work with any system)
Hardware Scaling 2.0 (1.0 should work with any)

8000 cycles
NO EMS or XMS!! Will cause crash!! (Usually mid-game... very annoying as game is not meant for sooo much memory 😀 ).

OK, what happens now: It loads...Well, I see part of the startup screen. It then returns me to desktop.

Video card is a GeForce 4 Ti4200.

Reply 8 of 16, by Lochmacher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What cpu core are you using?
For non-intensive DOS games, I use normal (fewer chances for error). Also make sure that you aren't running other programs that might hinder DosBox and that your copy of Wasteland isn't compromised.
Did you set the dos memory to the max (63m)?

Reply 9 of 16, by Penta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Lochmacher wrote:

What cpu core are you using?
For non-intensive DOS games, I use normal (fewer chances for error). Also make sure that you aren't running other programs that might hinder DosBox and that your copy of Wasteland isn't compromised.
Did you set the dos memory to the max (63m)?

Normal, yes...

I'm using the copy from Home of the Underdogs.

Reply 10 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think 32MB is the max amount of memory that DOSBox can actually use. Also, try running some other games as it sounds like you might have a compatability problem between DOSBox and your computer rather than between Wasteland and DOSBox. Wasteland is a simple old game that doesn't use many resources - I got it working under DOSBox and NTVDM (i.e. running directly in Windows) without problems when I tried a while back.