VOGONS

First post, by ben5430

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The following TSR code is a soundcard driver of a game.
http://home.pchome.com.tw/net/ben5430/VOCTSR03.zip

It worked well in dosbox 0.61
but I can't make it workable in version 0.63
it always reports that "Can not found DMA & IRQ"

can anyone please help me make it work in version 0.63?
thx.

Reply 1 of 6, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is caused by the TSR being terribly badly programmed (not to mention being full of spelling errors) and assuming that the IRQ of the sound card is raised a given number of times during one screen refresh. A miracle this thing works at all on some systems.

It's probably better to fix the TSR than to change DOSBox to accomodate for this. Change byte 0xDDA from 0x01 to 0x00 and byte 0xDDC from 0x75 to 0x74.

If you haven't got a hexeditor, open Windows' command prompt in the directory where VOCTSR03.EXE is located and type the following:

ren voctsr03.exe temp.bin
debug temp.bin
e eda 0
e edc 74
w
q
ren temp.bin voctsr03.exe

(don't do this inside DOSBox -- it doesn't have debug.exe)

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 2 of 6, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kippesoep, I've noticed you like reverse-engineering buggy DOS programs (I hope I remember right). Cool thing. Have you thought about collecting all your tips in some central place so your work isn't lost? Perhaps a thread in the guides or patches section (well, those are patches, of a kind 😉 ), in the wikis or something?

Reply 3 of 6, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Moe: yeah, I've been thinking about doing just such a thing. At present, I know I have patches and workarounds for "Ghostbusters II", "Omnicron Conspiracy", "Lost in Time CD", "Delta V CD" and the program mentioned in this thread (what is it called anyway?). Probably a few more that I've forgotten about. These allow all the aforementioned programs to run in DOSBox without sacrificing the ability to run in regular DOS.

I'll think about putting up a section on my website for this.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 4 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That would be really great for other users. I remember I tweaked keyboard input method for CALIFORNIA GAMES a long time ago. I may still have the strings I changed somewhere.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 6, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kippesoep, if you do it in the dosbox wiki or open a thread in here (for the patches section, for example), other users could easily contribute