VOGONS

First post, by Lab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have just discovered DOSBox today!! Sounds great so far...

Now, I wanted to play the good old and great Alone In The Dark 1 (CD version)

Read a lot about DOSBox settings, and dosbox.conf and all...but I only have one problem:

The entire game seems to work fine with music, but as soon as I put Sound Effect "On" (which is DEFENETLY what I want) the game gets gerky whenever, say, I walk, for exemple (seems to be when it loads the sound that the character makes when he walks a step)...goes the same for when I fight...Putting the music off wont change anything...and with no sound effects; all is smooth but, I want sound!!

I've tried so many different config (increasing or decreasing CPU cycle, same for skip frames, decreasing the opl rate of the blaster setting, etc...) and all according to different persons who are saying the game works well with sounds...

My computer is:
AMD 64 3000
2 MEGs RAM
RADEON 9800
WIN XP Service Pack 2

trying Alone In The Dark 1 (CD version)

Help!!!
Thanx

Lab

Reply 1 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems as if the IRQ of the game for soundcard does not match DOSBox's one. Try changing IRQ from 7 to 5. Also, what soundcard did you select for Alone in the dark?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 4, by Lab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanx El_Pusher,

but changing the irq to 5 didnt change a thing 🙁

and about what sound card, its the sb16...

btw my dosbox.conf, in the "sound" section, I have this setup:

[mixer]

nosound=false
rate=11025
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]

mpu401=true
intelligent=true
device=default
config=

[sblaster]

type=sb16
base=220
irq=5 (thats when I tried the irq=5 as you proposed...before was 7)
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=11025

[gus]

gus=true
rate=11025
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

Do I have to put the gus to false?? or soundblaster takes over? could there be any "conflict" or something?

Tell me what you think of the config...and do you think I should try sb2 or...?

Thanx again!

Lab

Reply 3 of 4, by Lab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One more thing el_pusher,

if your question about the soundcard meant (which sound card did I choosed when I installed the game), well, I'll have to answer: the one by default, because I actually didnt choose any...

explanation: whenever I try to install the game throught DOSBox, it does not display the text of the menu choices plus it seems I cannot even reach the end of my installation because it sort of freeze on a certain menu...

and if I install throught Win XP, I can click everywhere BUT the graphic display of the text is all screwed up...numbers instead of letters and letters upside down, etc...so I installed, but in the folder by default (which is drive C: and path in \I-motion\ or something...

So if the default sound card is not Sound Blaster, then I would have to know where the SB is at, in the list of soundcard... 😖

Thanx!

Lab

Reply 4 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try disabling GUS for testing purposes and force DOSBox to use a plain old SB 1.0 card.

[sblaster]

type=sb1

Try checking some of them, one at a time

SB1
SB2
SBPRO1
SBPRO2
SB16 {You already tested this one}

Good luck.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)