VOGONS

First post, by abcdefg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone.
This is a great project. Kudos to everyone who worked on this.

Well.. I want to report a problem with Zool2. It works very fine till we reach area 1-2. Whenever you get near to that big swan at the start of the level. The game just freezes. Everything stops, but only the music keeps playing. All keys do nothing, and the game just totally freezes!

Is there a workaround for this? It happens everytime.

Thank you very much

Reply 2 of 9, by abcdefg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the game can't run under windows at all.
The game runs fine under pure DOS mode.

I don't know if this may help or not, but I remember when I had the original version of this game (A very long time ago), it had weird problems when you press the "Turbo" button. (That useless button they put in the very old cases). Whenever you pressed the Turbo button a similar behavior happened in this game. It freezed (and sometimes the game just slowed down to a crawl). I am not sure if this is at all relevant. I am just trying to help! 😀 😁

Reply 3 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. What version of DOSBox are you using?
2. Have you tried changing the cycles setting? (maybe it needs to be higher?)
3. Have you tried different core settings? (simple, normal, full, dynamic)

Reply 4 of 9, by abcdefg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. What version of DOSBox are you using?

I am running version 0.63

2. Have you tried changing the cycles setting? (maybe it needs to be higher?)

Nope! Never knew I could do this

3. Have you tried different core settings? (simple, normal, full, dynamic)

Nope! Never knew I could do this

<silently walks away, embarrased, looking for the FAQ to read before asking any other questions!!> 🙄 🙄

Reply 5 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
abcdefg wrote:

<silently walks away, embarrased, looking for the FAQ to read before asking any other questions!!> 🙄 🙄

That's VERY WISE of you. Honesty is good.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 9, by abcdefg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I have done my homework, and now I assume I understand what I am talking about 😀

The game still freezes in area 1-2. Even if I added a few frames in the frameskip, and even if I increase or decrease the CPU cycles.

The interesting part, though, is that I tried the game on another PC, and it freezed too, but in a totally different area. I could play the game till I reached area 2-1 and the game freezed there. I am not really sure what is going on.

Is there some kind of a debug version, where the program monitors what is going on so that I can send it to you?

Thank you very much

Reply 9 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may also want to try a recent CVS build (which contains experimental and work-in-progress changes since 0.63 was released) to see if your problem has been fixed since 0.63 came out.

Also, did you try running with different core settings?