VOGONS

First post, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

image.png

Is there a known fix for IndyDesk under Win3.11 to show dialogue baloons correctly filled?
I've found some videos on YT but I'm sure they refer to the Win95 version when looking at the window gadgets... So I have this doubt: the Win3.11 always had this glitch on real HW or is it an emulation issue?

DOSBox ECE r4481, Win 3.11 ITA, Indiana Jones and His Desktop Adventures 1.0 (for Win 3.1).

Reply 1 of 3, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

> they refer to the Win95 version

Afaict there's only the 16 bit "Windows 3.1" version, no 32 bit "Windows 95" one that might be doing things differently.

Anyways, I'd say it's most likely to be an issue with your configuration. I don't have any hardware with Win3 on it hooked up right now, but running the game, V1.00, on WfW 3.11, on DOSBox Staging 0.80.1, the dialogues look fine. (Granted, I've had to disable sound for it to finish loading, but that's a whole other can of worms.)

Reply 2 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It can depend on the S3 video driver you are using: 1.70.04 has the issue, 1.41B5 does not. I won't bore you with details except to say it's about the acceleration features the drivers try to use.

Reply 3 of 3, by rolloLG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you very much! Installed "S3 864 1.41B5 drivers for Windows 3.1 (600k)" and it worked!
image.png
I had no option for 1024x768 16.7M, only 64K colors... is there something to change in my DOSBox cfg or is a driver (or original HW) limitation?

EDIT: tried some more drivers and found Trio64 1.69.xx which supports 16M, but has the same problem of previous Trio64 1.70.xx with IndyDesk... sigh.. I think I'll have to make do with it.