VOGONS

First post, by atrelio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there,

Just a simple question: how can I make Warlords 2 Deluxe play music _correctly_ via Roland MT-32 through DosBox? The game runs perfectly well with SB - I only feel nostalgy as I was an avid fan of my mt-32 before I had to sell it years ago...

So far I put the MT32_CONTROL.ROM and MT32_PCM.ROM into the DosBox folder, set the "device=mt32" line in the [MIDI] section of dosbox.conf and started dosbox. Wonderful. It worked (initialized the midi device as mt32).
Next I setup the game to have music through Roland MT-32/LAPC1.

But when I launch the game the music is just... well, barely more than pathetic scraping. Any idea to make it sound as it supposed to?

Thx in advance. 😎

Reply 1 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Where did you get the build of DOSBox that you're running with? The official version doesn't include built-in MT-32 emulation, so I have a feeling that you're using an old experimental build that someone made.

Reply 2 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And the only old experimental versions of DOSBox with MT-32 out there are using the ages-old MT-32 Emulation code, not the correct Munt code, as far as I'm aware. (And might even be against the 0.62 codebase!)

A much *better* idea is to install Munt (it is a virtual device for Windows), set your default MIDI device to it (in Multimedia control panel), and then run DOSBox with MPU-401 enabled. That way, whenever there's a new version of either Munt or DOSBox, you can install them separately.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 7, by atrelio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I am using gulikoza's build (http://home.amis.net/lkslavi) which was compiled on 30th June 2005 (I'm not sure about the release version it based on but since the W2 Deluxe perfectly works on it I guess it's not too old).

I'm aware that custom builds, like this one, are not supported by DosBox authors but was curious is there any possible way to have roland emulation with DosBox by valid roms...

Btw, thx for the quick reply! 😀

Reply 4 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Snover: The Win32 driver version of Munt is way old too...

I think I may have posted a build a couple of weeks ago too, but if Guli's is that recent then it should have the newest Munt CVS code in it (which hasn't been updated since around March I think).

You should test your ROMs with a recent daily snapshot build of SCUMMVM to make sure they're actually valid.

Also, try deleting your waveform cache files that the Munt code in DOSBox generates.

Reply 5 of 7, by atrelio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx for the advice, I'll do that.

As for the SCUMMVM testing, all Lucasarts games sound good with my roms so I suppose there are nothing wrong with them.

I'll dig further.

Reply 7 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

New verson of what?

Ah, Munt. The CVS still hasn't been updated since March 19 as far as I can tell, so this must just be a new build of the Win32 driver from the current CVS? Cool.