VOGONS

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I must have registered on here ages ago (says my email is used already) but it's been so long I forgot my username heh sorry.

Anyway, I got Arena working in DOSbox61 but I'm only getting like 1-2 fps. I increased the cpu cycles (hit like 50k when my cpu maxed out) but it's still running too slow to be playable.

Before I tried it on DOSbox, I installed it on my win98 partition but I've never been able to get win98 to boot properly with the config.sys tweaks to enable EMS memory without a step confirmation. It just hangs on the splash. 🙁

I was just wondering if there are any tweaks that might improve the speed or if anyone can tell me if my system specs are just too low to get better performance for this game. Thanks.

Athlon XP 1.4GHz 1600+
512 DDR
GF4 Ti 4200 128
XP Home SP2

Reply 2 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There, I moved your thread for you.

1. DOSBox 0.61 is ancient. I have no idea why so many people are using a version that must be over a year old by now. Use 0.63 or a CVS build.

2. Is this the floppy, or the CD-ROM version?

3. Did you try the dynamic core?

4. Yes, unfortunately your system specs are probably too low for running Arena in DOSBox. You might be able to get it to run at minimum detail if you use the latest CVS with dynamic core and no scaler and any other optimizations you can think of.

Reply 3 of 4, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, original poster here.

Thanks for the reply/move HunterZ. 😀

Yeah 0.61 is the version elderscrolls.com is still linking to. I tried it in 0.63 and it made a big difference. Did'nt mess with the config, just increased cpu cycles to 10k and frameskip to 10. It's very playable now. Oh, I'm using version 1.06 from the official site btw.

My sincere thanks to the DOSBox Devs for an excellent program.

Cheers