VOGONS

First post, by Kitt190

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed DOSbox and went to play System shock, the CD version won't load and the install program doesn't seem to see the sound card for the digital voices any help would be appriciated. Also when I load the older non-cd version it crashes as soon as the game itself loads up and I can't firgure it out. The DOSBox stells me it's an illegal command when I use the .exe file but when I load it through windows it works through the DOSBox program for some reason. Any help with this would be VERY appriciated!!

Also if there's a better read me for this please send it to crashphantom1@yahoo.com

Thanks again.

Reply 1 of 16, by Kitt190

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I looked again and System Shock CD is running a dos4gw pro version 1.97 extender. Also the DOSbox is giving me Illegal command errors when I use it to execute a file, despite it seeing it when I use the dir command.

Reply 4 of 16, by Kitt190

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did download the CD version (I still have the CD version I purchased in 95) As for working in XP I have XP Pro and I can't seem to get the CD version to work and I am using the .63 version of DOSBox. Any suggestions?

Reply 6 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it a file on the CD that you're unable to execute, or is it after you install to the hard drive?
Are you sure you're changing drives to the CD drive before trying to run the program?
What is the exact sequence of commands that you're trying to use?

Reply 8 of 16, by Kitt190

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using the System Shock from the Underdogs and not from my CD version. the exact order of commands is
mount c c:\dosprog
cd sshock
cdshock (the exe file)

at which point DOSBox says
Illegal command: C:\GAMES\SYSTEM~1\cdrom\sshock.exe

However the thing reads it is there when I use the dir command and it sees it elsewhere I know I'm missing something here but I can't seem to figure it out, have I missed mounting something? Also when I use the install it loads up but then doesn't read anything, the blue box of the install shows up with a list of 0 and only 0 down the list after I select my language (english)
I have a Nostromo speedpad n52 (USB) and am using a standard PS2 mouse and keyboard

Reply 9 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, you're not listing some steps. I see that you're trying to run something from C:\GAMES\SYSTEM~1\cdrom\ but I don't see where you're mounting that directory. It's also showing an error for sshock.exe when you said you were trying to run cdshock.exe 😕

Reply 10 of 16, by Kitt190

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I made a mistake when copying and I am listing every step I am doing. I'm not running somewthing from a CD drive and that's why this is such an annoying problem
I start up dosbox v0.63,
mount c c:\dosprog
cd sshock
cdshock (the exe file)
Same error still occurs and I'm not trying to run the CD at all. Or is the program somhow seeing that other command line?

Reply 11 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Something must be going horribly wrong. How would DOSBox know about a C:\GAMES\SYSTEM~1\cdrom\sshock.exe? Or maybe that's just a hard-coded location that cdshock.exe tries to find sshock.exe in when you run it? You should probably look into trying to get that install.bat working first.

Reply 12 of 16, by Kitt190

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also as a side query how do you get system shock to run in windows XP? It keeps asking to open COM2 but can't and when I try to start a game it dumps to the system (the intro works just fine, music and all)

Reply 13 of 16, by Kitt190

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How would I do that? As I stated in a previous post when I run it through DOS Box it gives me the standard question of language, then after that no mater which of the 3 I pick, (english, french and deutsch) It gives me the instal list as a list of zeros. Where am I going wrong with this?

Reply 14 of 16, by Kitt190

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I mickey moused it and used the C games as the main drive which allowed me to play the game properly, or mostly properly anyways. Couple of questions still about it as it seems only system shock gives it a problem I have no problem running the apogee games (commander keen et al)

Reply 15 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay I just downloaded System Shock from Home of the Underdogs to see if I could get it working in DOSBox, and here are the notes I made as I went along (note to DOSBox devs, possible DOSBox bugs are in bold text):

Notes:
- Unzipped HotU version to d:\oldgames\sysshock
- Mounted d:\oldgames as c
- Ran:

cd sysshock
install

- Got an error message about needing to run install from CDROM base directory
- Ran:

mount d d:\oldgames\sysshock -t cdrom
d:
install

- Got the same error
- Ran:

install.bat

- Worked
- Tried various music card settings. SB16 and SBPro (new) sound incorrect compared to SB, Old SBPro and Adlib settings
- Installed to C:\SSHOCK
- Ran:

sshock

- Game runs and plays intro movie
- Started a new game
- Game is rather slow at 25000 cycles at 320x200, unplayable at 640x480 (but runs)
- Switching to 640x480 and then back to 320x200 results in half the horizontal mouse sensitivity (poosible DOSBox bug?)

I should also mention that my USB gamepad joystick doesn't seem to work in the game even though it works fine in other games such as X-Wing.

Also note that I'm using a custom build from latest CVS, which is stock except for having integrated Munt MT-32 emulation.

Reply 16 of 16, by Sintinian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Kitt190.
cut you please run me through how you got up to the com2 request part in system shock? apparently, all you have to do at that point is select ignore, then bring SSHOCK back up from your start bar to get it working, only I can't even get that far. I just get a garbled screen....

thank you