VOGONS

First post, by Max15255

User metadata

I have 2000 copies of an old DOS title called "Dino Park Tycoon", on CD. Most of the schools and students we work with are unable to run it now on WinXP. Is there a way to produce a program that will install the emulater, then ask for the program CD and when completed create a program icon and be able to run "Dino Park Tycoon" from the hard drive? It would also need to put the computer back to its' original configuration when the program is exited and run on both WinXp Home and Pro.

Reply 1 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That sounds quite complicated, but maybe something like the Nullsoft installer could do it. I've never played with installers so I dunno...

Would it be possible to just install the game and DOSBox and then either re-burn those files to a CD, or store them on a LAN somewhere? In fact, are the computers networked together so that you can just set it up on a LAN and run it from there?

Reply 2 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NSIS could easily do it, but it might be easier to just create a modified CD image with DOSBox already on it, and set autorun.inf to run DOSBox automatically with runtime options.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 5, by Guest

User metadata

I believe we have to use the original "Dino Park Tycoon" CD, due to licensing issues. What I would like to do is have an installation CD created, with an autorun function, installer which will install DOSBox, call for the program CD, install it to the hard drive, create a program icon and exit the installation.

Reply 4 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe you could install DOSBox permanently on all the machines and then have a BAT file that is called from the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf that runs the installer from the CD, then deletes the directory when done?

Reply 5 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the CD was stored on a server then calls from multiple computers could be made to just the 1 image without having to worry about having the CD on multiple computers.....Might be worth testing out.

As far as licensing. As long as you have the original license for all the copies and the # of users using the program fits the license then it doesn't matter if you use the original CD or not. The media does not matter...just the license. So read the license and figure out what it says exactly.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline