VOGONS

First post, by darkmage0707077

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will try posting here this time, as I think I posted in the wrong area last time.

I was playing Conquests of Camelot up until I got to the fight with the Saracen. As soon as the game tried to go into the combat mode, it gave me an "Out of Heap Space" error message and exited.
I've tried messing with the memory on dosbox, but that doesn't seem to work. Playing it in some format other then dosbox gets me the same message (windows, d-fend, etc). What can I do about this?

Reply 1 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might try using the LOADFIX utility that is built into DOSBox. For example, if you run the game by typing SIERRA, you would type:
LOADFIX SIERRA

Also, make sure that you've run INSTALL and that you've chosen valid options for video and sound.

Reply 5 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm... This page suggests that maybe running at a slower speed (lower cycles setting) will help: http://www.the-underdogs.org/tech/techelp_p.h … fheapspaceerror

Reply 10 of 10, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Conquests of Camelot doesn't use XMS memory. Also, the "heap" size depends on the program. For a program that only uses regular DOS memory, this won't be bigger than 640k (less, actually, since the program itself also takes up memory, as does DOS etc).

For a program that runs in protected mode, the heap could be the size of the physical memory in the system or even more (if a page file exists). STTNG:AFU runs in protected mode. It giving you a negative amount of memory simply means that it's experiencing integer overflow. From the looks of it, you've set your DOSBox to have around 64MB of memory.

This strange number is not the cause of the problem with CoC.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.