User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AMD Athlon 2500+ XP
Win 2000 Professional sp4
512MB DDR 266
Soundmax digitial integrated audio
Nvidia 5200FX with 128 MB
17" Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 70 Flat CRT.

I load Dosbox with -machine Tandy -fullscreen (or w/o the -fullscreen), the screen doesn't refresh and display the game, it stays on the Dos screen with the Dosbox console and asks if I wanna use a joystick. It superimposes that text on the screen in dos. The game starts, the sound plays, but the screen doesn't show the game. I can even fire the weapon, pause, and quit. So, the only problem is my PC won't switch it's display to show the game, once it gets past the screen asking wether I wanna use a joystick or not. I've tried it with and without the console switch, with and without the fullscreen switch, nothing works. I am determined to play Thexder in Tandy mode so I can hear some decent sound, like when I was a kid. It works fine in EGA mode (of course, with awful PC speaker monotone). If anyone can tell me what needs to be done, please help. I haven't tried it on my wife's laptop, which is running XP, because I want to use my PC.

Reply 3 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt it, but the sound isn't too bad if you turn the music off (which is just one song that loops endlessly anyways).

Also, the game works for me in Tandy mode using a recent CVS build, but the colors are messed up.

Reply 10 of 13, by PMC_Analyst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried all the current CVS builds, there was absolutely no change. I don't believe it's meant for me to play Thexder with graphics AND Tandy sound at the same time. I just don't get it. I've checked all over the internet in dozens of forums, and I'm the only one who has reported trouble with Thexder running in Tandy mode where the screen doesn't change. I don't have enough programming experience to fully understand how and why certain changes in hardware configurations are necessary with Dosbox, so I guess I just won't play it. It just doesn't make sense, I can play any other game just fine, except the one game I really want to play. Thanks anyways.

Reply 12 of 13, by PMC_Analyst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I'll try that and see what happens. I never thought it would be so hard to get one game to work. All my other Sierra games work fine, except LSL2, it doesn't have the background music. Thanks again.

Reply 13 of 13, by PMC_Analyst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got it working. Thanks for all your help. I can deal with the choppy music in the intro, it doesn't seem to occur any other time. The problem was one that I had suspected, I was missing a lot of files from the game, so I found a full copy, and it looks great. Thanks again.