VOGONS

First post, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently wanted to try the old (and not that great) flight sim Fighter Wing, by Merit / Gemsoft, in DOSbox- I remember from childhood it had engine sounds, but after installing it from my old CD it only had music, and I initially couldn't find the option to enable engine noise instead.

Turns out the original version did not have the option to switch between music and engine noise, and a 2.0 patch was released that added in the option: https://archive.org/details/FWCD20_ZIP. After some finagling I was able to manually install it by reverse-engineering the UPGRADE.BAT file, as it uses some constructions DOSBox natively doesn't support. Engine noise could now indeed be enabled (via a flyout in the music card settings of SETUP.EXE) and everything seemed good to go, but the game still only had music afterwards.

After that I gave a 4-in-1 CD pack I found online a try, that already included the updated version 'out of the box'. Slightly different installer, more files are copied over, same end result: no engines, just music.

Looking at FWING.BAT, which is generated by the setup programme, it looks like the game loads a couple of drivers into memory before starting the game. Is that just something that will not work in DOSBox? Would that require a full DOS environment, or is there another fix or workaround?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 2, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The engine noise is working for me in 0.74-3 and SVN with the CD version upgraded to v2. The NOISE2.EXE driver being loaded by FWING.BAT is necessary, but curiously it is unloaded by NOISE.EXE (without the "2"). Anyway, it seems there is no option of having music AND engine noise at the same time, only one or the other toggled with the "/" key, and I suppose this is because the noise is done with the FM chip. It might be a different story if the game supported MIDI music, but there is only FM music.

Reply 2 of 2, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2023-04-17, 21:44:

[...] only one or the other toggled with the "/" key [...]

Thanks so much for your reply- I completely missed still having to switch to engine noise in-game, even after already having explicitly chosen it in the setup program. Ahem, so, anyway... it indeed just works as intended with DOSBox.