VOGONS

First post, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, using standard .63 build of DosBOX generates several illegal read errors and some DSL parachute deplyed error and a crash when you attempt to run the installation program from the CD.

I've tried the newest CVS build and although the game doesn't crash, it freezes on a black screen.

I've tried disabling sound, trying various CPU cores, loadfixes, sound disabled etc. to no avail.

Then I tried ykhwong's Korean CVS build and got a little further. When you try to run it in this build and you enable his experimental SVGA support, the game says: unable to initialize video mode, load a vesa driver.

So I dowload our old standby (univbe.exe) and let er rip and I get : no compatible chipset detected. Well, that just pisses me off cause I got trio64 set in the .conf file and it is listed in univbe.exe's readme file as a supported chip (ok I guess the way the driver loads is not supported by the video BIOS emulation or something.)

Then, to top all of this off, there are reports on this board of the game running and also (even though it says broken) people on the dosbox.sourceforge.net/games database claim to get the game working.

So, where does this get us?

I don't know. Is there a way (or need) to actually run a VESA driver in DOSBOX to get some things working?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated as I am (in my knowledge) the last fan of cyberpunk and I'd really like to play this one..

Thanks again!

😁

Rocking the following:

Roland MT-32
Roland SC-55 Sound Canvas

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't have the game but AFAIK the only compatible univesa driver is univesa 5.3. Anything later doesn't work well with the DosBox CVS (Don't know how it reacts with unofficial patches).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow. Thanks for setting me on the right track, DosFreak!

I got the installer (and the game) working with UNIVESA 4.2. The game works using UNIVESA 4.2 and .63 CVS 0703. WILL NOT WORK WITH STANDARD .63.

Hahaha, and the intro song to the game is 'Don't fear the reaper'. Get it? 🤣

BTW any link to UNIVESA 5.3? I searched google for the better part of an hour and all I could find was 4.2 I'd like to have the final ver. for compatability sake.

Thanks a million!

Rocking the following:

Roland MT-32

Reply 3 of 3, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok friends, this is it. It now works fine.

Univesa 5.3a is actually....UNIVBE.exe or Scitech display doctor 5.3a (which you can download legitametly and free with reg. code here: http://www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/sdd/sdd53a-d.zip)

It works great and I'm using dynamic core, 15k cycles, double the block size under the sound options to help with the skipping audio and you should be good. Game now works.

Have fun playing you little cyberpunks... 😉

Rocking the following:

Roland MT-32