VOGONS

First post, by tk05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the CD version of GK1(has voices). If I mount the CD to get voices on my machine, dosbox encounters an illegal instruction whenever a voice is supposed to be played and exits. If I play without the CD mounted(voices disabled) and go to the New Orleans map and try to go to a location, dosbox sits with a blank screen for while and then encounters an illegal instruction. However on another person's machine with the same CD and configuration(copied the installed files including save games) it works nearly perfectly with voice and has so far played up to Day 3 with no problems. I also wonder if there's a timing bug that keeps Bruno from showing up on Day 3 when nearly all tasks have been completed(refused to sell the painting the first time he came in but he's supposed to keep coming back until you sell it to him). My distro: Gentoo. Distro of the machine it works on: Mandrake/Mandriva LE 2005.

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

are the versions of dosbox the same ?
gentoo probably uses 0.63
mandrake I don't know

you can check with dosbox -version

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 7, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just checked, Gentoo uses vanilla 0.63 sources without any patches. There's a separate dosbox-cvs package for you-guess-it (no third-party patches either).

Reply 5 of 7, by Duckman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

cool someone else still plays GK sierries.
Anyways I've just finished playing through GK1 on DOSbox and I've had a few CD-rom problems.

The short answer: Copy CD to HD and mount the directory with DOSbox as CD.

My comp 3.5GHz Athlon XP 1Gig Ram Asus A8V-E Deluxe with built in sound.

I've tried playing with original CD. Well.. It sucked since it had to spin up the CD on every dialog and I didnt feel like missing out any of awesome voice acting.

So I've made a cd image and mounted it on the Alchohol virtual CD drive.
Well at some point the game crushed. I've narrowed it down that it was because of virtual CD since I could go through that particular spot playing off original CD. That still left problem of load times.

So I've tkaen another option. Copy the whole CD into a dirctory on my HD and mount that as CD on DOSbox. That worked like a charm. No problmes what so ever. I've just beaten the game.

Reply 6 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
`Moe` wrote:

I just checked, Gentoo uses vanilla 0.63 sources without any patches. There's a separate dosbox-cvs package for you-guess-it (no third-party patches either).

I find it hard to believe.
They just incorperated some 64 bits fix I coded.
http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*ch … osbox/ChangeLog

and here for all the patches:
http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*ch … n/dosbox/files/

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 7, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, look at the ebuild - the amd64 patch was added 6 days ago, and no other patch is applied. If there's more stuff in the files directory, it's probably used by older versions' ebuilds. (shell function "src_unpack" is the place to check what is applied and what isn't)