User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Systems Specs are these:

Windows XP+Service Pack 1 Is my OS
My processor is AMD Athlon XP 2000+
With 1.67ghz
and 768 mb of Ram.

I tried all kinds of cycle settings, music runs fine, menus work fine, but when i get to the race track, game lags beyond measure, making it impossible to drive..
Can anyone recommend a good cycle setting, a good setting for cycleup, and cycledown(im using dbfrontend with dosbox 0.63), and good frame skip setting if needed?

Reply 1 of 3, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my system, Death Track works fine at the default of 3000 cycles, frameskip 0. For cycleup/cycledown, I usually use 500/100, but those two have no impact on the performance of the game. At 9000 cycles (my own default), the game flickers badly.

Although it might be difficult to tell because DT has such an unresponsive control method and limited range of movement, I don't get lag at any setting.

If it really is slow on your system, try using the keyboard for control (if you weren't already) or choose another rendering output. I only ever use "surface", which may make some other forum regulars balk 😀. Tested "ddraw", which also works fine, but is a little blurry. Also tested "overlay", which slowed down the music but didn't noticeably affect the game.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 3 of 3, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think its okay starting 20000 cycles or so.
But as I stated in another post, i dont manage to get a smooth scrolling.
There is no lag, though.
I recommend you to use VDMsound, (you wont have filtered gfx though), it works perfect.

Latest dosbox cvs on windows xp sp3