VOGONS

First post, by whocrazy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there. I'm having trouble running a couple of games, first, oh no more lemmings. I'm running it under dosbox but it keeps asking me to insert the oh no more lemmings disk in to the drive and press any key. Can anyone help? the strange thing is, if I try to run it using vdmsound, it actually works, the game starts and the music starts to play.
The second game I'm having trouble with is ken's labyrynth
the soundblaster card routines seem to crash the game, and I have to use the pc speaker instead, which will pause the music every time a sound effect is played. Is there any way to fix this?
Thanks

Reply 1 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Could you clarify one thing.
how can you actually operate those tiny lemmings when you need a speech synthesizer to read the things of your screen ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 8, by whocrazy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't play the games as such. I just wanted to hear the music and hear how good the sound was.
I got sighted assistance from someone who told me about how oh no more lemmings kept asking for a disk under dosbox, in the end, I got oh no running under vdmsound, with music playing. Dont ask me about the picture though, at least I got it running

Reply 3 of 8, by whocrazy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ps: Please please please please dont think I am having you on and am trying to pull some kinda trick and end up flaming me.
I have always been interested in computer games since I was little, even though I was born blind, it's the music, the sound, the atmosphere. I know how it all must sound so far fetched, but you have to believe me.

Reply 4 of 8, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That clears it up. We were just wondering.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to download game MIDIs from the net, though?

One thing I can recommend: find and try Silpheed. I really like the music that plays when you lose the game (should be easy enough if you can't see -- I can't win even though I am fully sighted).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 5 of 8, by whocrazy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, it's not just the music, it's also the sound effects.
So does anyone know why oh no more lemmings won't run under dosbox, or the soundcard routines freezing up ken's labyrynth?
Thanks

Reply 6 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've always found Ken's Lab sound support to be somewhat buggy.

You'd probably be better off asking the man himself: http://advsys.net/ken/default.htm

Here's his Ken's Lab page:
http://advsys.net/ken/default.htm

Has an SDL port of Ken's Lab.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 8, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The version of oh no more lemmings I have works fine under dosbox (the cycles have to be around 3000 for the game to detect adlib). I don't know the second game...

edit: Ah, just noticed another thing...how are you starting lemmings? My version has Vgalemmi.exe and some bat file - Lemmings.bat. The bat file calls Lem_tsr.com before vgalemmi.exe. If I start the exe directly the game will complain to insert original disk...seems like that tsr is a crack 😀. If you have original disks make sure the floppies are mounted correctly...