VOGONS

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the newer version of the Dune 2 setup program, which allows you to select separate devices for music, synthesized sounds, and digitized sounds. In the latest CVS, the setup program freezes (requiring that I manually close DOSBox via the Windows close window button). DOSBox itself is still responsive to hotkeys such as Ctrl+F11/12. This only seems to happen when I choose Yes (1) for the "Use extended memory" option. After I choose the option, the setup program will freeze even if I abort before saving my choices.

I tried running an old debug build from 5/5/05 (a date whose significance was sadly lost on me until just this moment), and it didn't crash! I then tried various versions of DOSBox that I have lying around and was able to determine that the issue was probably introduced sometime between 5/26/05 and 7/9/05.

I'm wondering if maybe it was the v86 enhancements?

I just made a debug build of the latest CVS, and I can see it spewing out "CPU:Illegal Unhandled Interrupt Called 5" a million times.

Reply 1 of 11, by dragonmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, its true. Happened for me, too.
Was the setupversion which makes it possible to use general midi for music and sb for sound at the same time.

Also the soundsetting is saved inspite of the crash, so its not so bad.

Reply 6 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um, no I have the latest CVS (which I built myself) and it freezes, but only if memsize=32 and ems=true. If I set memsize=16 or ems=false then it no longer freezes.

wd: How do I check whether it's in v86 mode?

BTW, thanks everyone for helping to confirm the bug. Does the memsize=32 & ems=true make it freeze for you?

Reply 7 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You answare yes to extended memory. ems is not extended memory.

I remember that dune 2 doesn't detect extended memory if you have 32MB or more (the result is that there are no digital sounds). (dosbox's default mem=16 is not without a reason)

I suppose setup will also freeze with a real pc not configured properly.

Reply 8 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you read the text, you will notice that the setup program uses "extended" and "expanded" interchangably. I think the game is able to use either (or maybe just EMS - I'm not sure). The setup program defnitely checks EMS or else setting EMS=false wouldn't stop it from freezing.

Also, regardless of what it does on a real PC, I thought this issue was worth nothing because - with EMS=true and memsize=32 - it freezes in recent CVS (7/9/05 and onwards) but not in the older versions (5/5/05 and older) that I tried. This could mean that emulation is now more accurate, or (more likey) that an issue has been introduced into the DOSBox source somewhere.

Reply 9 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it says nothing about ems. actually it says: "the game needs extended memory (XMS) to play digitized samples"

Attachments

• setup_000.png
    Filename
    setup_000.png
    File size
    5.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EMS is obviously related somehow to the freezing issue though, as turning it off eliminates it.

However, it is also the case that if you set XMS=false and EMS=true, the setup program will report that extended memory is not available if you then try to choose Yes for that option.

Reply 11 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh.

"Do you want to use extended memory?"
"Do you want to use expanded memory?"
"The game needs extended memory (XMS)"

Bunch of dumbasses that wrote that setup menu.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline