VOGONS

First post, by Alt+G

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is in regards to the now-famous problem of the ALT/CTRL function keys occasionally stopping to function in POP2. For the past few days, I've been playing this with a friend under DOSBox 0.63, and it looks like we have discovered some specific instances that trigger this problem (this is after a lot of trial and error)...:

- Getting killed by one of those wall-guillotines (this does not ALWAYS trigger the problem, but the probability is very high)

- Activating a crusher-trap (this one does seem to always cause the problem).

- Using the keypad 8 key to defend yourself in a fight (weirdly enough, this is actually true, haha... for some reason, if you use the 7 or 9 keys, the problem doesn't happen. We have actually tested this beyond all doubt... though it could be some sort of local problem on this machine, who knows).

Hope these clues might help the developers to fix the problem in a future version... any other frustrated players are welcome to add their own findings in here. 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting report.

Do you have reason to believe that these issues are DOSBox specific, and not caused by your keyboard or the game itself?

Might try running in different versions of DOSBox and with different core settings (simple, normal, full, dynamic). Maybe different cycles settings too.

EDIT: I've played PoP2 a bit in DOSBox, but not enough to notice these issues, so I can't confirm nor deny their existence on my system.

Reply 2 of 4, by Alt+G

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I saw many complaints by people having the same problem with PoP2 under DOSBox - on this forum, as well as the comments under the PoP2 entry in the 'Games' section of the DOSBox homepage. The game itself never had this problem on its own, as far as I can remember.

Reply 3 of 4, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can confirm Alt+G, it's pretty much a pain playing PoP2 like this, and it only happens in DOSBox.
I can still use Ctrl to pull out the sword and such, but if I want to use an Alt/Ctrl + [something] combination it works at the begging of the game, but after I play a while it always stops at some point. I never figured what triggers it myself though.

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It could be Windows - I know it tends to get confused about the ctrl, alt, and Windows keys sometimes. Usually slamming on them a bunch of times clears it up for me 😀