VOGONS

NT 3.51

Topic actions

First post, by twickline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone tried to install NT 3.51 with current CVS build?

Reply 5 of 8, by twickline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm away from home for a couple days, spending some time with my mum 😀
I knew I should have brought my Laptop with me.... Anyway, I have NT 3.51
and I can start the install in DosBox. There is a WINNT.EXE as well as WINNT32.exe... WINNT.exe is ofcourse the dos install. What I want to try and do once network support is working is install NT 3.51 or 4.0 via a network install with DosBox. Why do I want to do this? For the pure hell of it!

I will send two screenshots of the installer running under DosBox when I get back to my place. I will crop them so they wont be large shots........

Tom

Reply 6 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You may get installer starting, but something will surely fail later. Even running Windows 3.1 meant that some clever programmers (WD, SRECKO, CANADACOW...) had to sit over DOSBOX for time fixing problems in DOSBOX.... There were quite a few changes to make DOSBOX W3.1 compatible...
The probability of ever running NT in DOSBOX "out of blue" is zero. Additionaly even if somebody made a patch for this, it would not be very usefull and usable...
There was some experimental work done on trying to run W9x, but even that was dropped (performance reason and usefullness)... There is always danger that DOSBOX could turn another Bochs (theoretically running everything, practically being buggy as hell - I did not check Bochs for some months, so if anything changed I apologize...).

Mirek

Reply 8 of 8, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
twickline wrote:

I don't want to *RUN* NT in DosBox I just want to see if I can get it to do the install.

It won't as, as with all versions of Windows >= 95, part of the install is done running the OS itself. Iirc, the install for WinNT3.x (and 4) loads a bunch of PM drivers, then switches to PM and starts the actual install. But this might be WinNT4 only, my memory is a bit vague here...

JAL