VOGONS

First post, by Kinsbane

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I used to play this all the time on my old 386 and moved on since technology upgraded.. but I found a copy on Ebay and have since been trying to use DOSBox 0.61 to install and play it, but I'm having problems.

First, the obligatory:

Motherboard - Gigabyte K8NSXP-939

Processor type and speed - AMD Athlong 64 3500+ (2.2ghz)

Amount and type of RAM - 1024mb of geil PC4000 DDR2

Video board w/ RAM amount and type - eVGA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB

Sound board Turtle Beach: Santa Cruz

Operating system - Windows XP

Game name (and version, if applicable) - Shuttle: The Space Flight Simulator (from 1990, by Virgin Interactive Games)

Description of problem (be detailed: saying "it's jerky" doesn't help, saying "the player sprites seem to be jerky when I'm pressing any of the arrow keys" does) -

When trying to install Shuttle from my floppies, right after configuring options, it simply tells me, "Aborting hard disk installation!", and then quits back to the A:\ prompt within DOSBox.

Reproducibility of problem (always, only once, always but only on a specific level, etc.) - happens every single time I tried it

Sound mode used

Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution) - I don't think I pick a video mode when I start DOSBox

Version of emulator (for VDMSound, probably 2.0.4 or 2.1.0; for DOSBox, 0.58+) - ??? My DOSBox version is 0.61

Yes, I've read the readme but it does not provide any means of why it wouldn't continue with installation. Virgin Games Interactive is no longer around and if they were in some other division, I don't think they provide support for it any longer. All I've tried doing to fix it is trying to mount things differently, start DOSBox differently, etc.

For reference, here's how I am mounting:

mount a a:\ -t floppy

mount c g:\ -t dir

and when I start DOSBox, I usually do dosbox -machine vga

But nothing seems to work. I can, actually, play the game off of the disks but that involves swapping and skipping and such, and that's not very fun. Also tried running the install file in WIn95 compatibility mode, to no avail.

I did a search before posting this, but maybe it didn't go back far enough, as I did not see any results regarding my game.

Any tips or help with this? I'd like to play it again, and finish it, as I never got to do so long ago...

Thanks in advance! 😁 [/b]

Reply 3 of 12, by twickline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would suggest trying the current stable build (0.63) and if that doesn't help try a cvs build.

http://ykhwong.x-y.net/page.htm
http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de/dosbox.htm
http://home.amis.net/lkslavi/

Tom

Reply 4 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just out of curiosity, how did you find out about DOSBox 0.61? I'm thinking that I should contact people and ask them to update their links so that we won't keep running into old version problems.

Reply 5 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

or move the old dosbox versions to a subdirectory or something to break the links.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
DosFreak wrote:

or move the old dosbox versions to a subdirectory or something to break the links.

not possible.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Create custom virii that wipes out old dosbox versions replaces them with updated versions and corrects improper links. Hey, it happens in the movies!

or simply post a message on the DosBox main page......

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually I think the best solution is to contact the owners of sites who are still distributing DOSBox 0.61. I think most webmasters would be glad to know that there are newer versions of DOSBox available and that DOSBox development is currently very active.

Reply 10 of 12, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry to continue the off-topic strand but have you considered getting DOSBox to do an non-invasive web update check when it starts. It could log in the console (with stand out letters/colours) that a new version is available... The feature could be disabled by command line switch.

It would mean that the start-up time would be slower. A server would have to be located at a well-known address. Server would just respond to a latest version request for the DOSBox image in use and the DOSBox program would just compare its internal version with that returned. I wouldn't expect/want auto-update facilities, etc. As a side effect you'd get to see how many times certain versions of DOSBox get started - nice stats I expect 😀

Just a thought anyways!

Reply 11 of 12, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That sort of snooping on users is rude.

Anyways, if someone did an improved win32 installer (see varius other threads on what could be improved), that one could ask the user if she wants to check for a new version...

Reply 12 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Other options include:
- Putting DOSBox's homepage address in the startup message
- Making the installer ask if you want to visit the homepage (probably the same thing Moe was suggesting)
- For Windows (and MacOS?) versions, give the user an option to install a link to the home page in the Start Menu

Note that none of this will fix the problem with people using 0.61, nor the inevitable problem of people still using 0.63 when the next version comes out. It will be an improvement in the long-run though.