VOGONS

First post, by jkohen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I'm a bit ashamed of having to post this, but so far all other games I tried with dosbox (0.63) worked out-of-the-box. I've read that other people got this game to work; I followed their instructions, also disabled sound in the game, in dosbox, tried the different cores, reduced the CPU cycles, and none of these worked. The game seems to be properly installed on disk, according to other posts in this forum and also by having read the install.bat and doing the procedure by hand (the installer fails on dosbox, there are other posts on that topic with more information).

All I get is a blank screen. No music, no sound, no mouse cursor, no sprites, no nothing. CPU usage is high, about 30%, which is what I get for other VGA games with dosbox, so there is something going on. I even waited 5' to see if loading was taking long for some reason, but nothing happened.

I'm on Linux 2.6.12 on an AMD64, using ALSA sound. Glibc is 2.3.2.

I even got Police Quest I original from the same collection to work. Well, "got" is relative, as it worked out of the box.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 2, by jkohen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For what is worth, Dosbox CVS seems to load the game properly.

I just need to find out whether it's a problem with Debian's dosbox or just a 0.63-specific bug.

Unfortunately this CVS version doesn't seem to be able to open the ALSA MIDI port, whereas 0.63 works flawlessly. I compiled in ALSA support, and dosbox is trying to open the port (same configuration file), but failing.

[Edit: a few seconds later I decided to change the audio device in dosboxrc from alsa to default, to see if that'd get it to work with OSS or something, and now the ALSA MIDI output works... go figure! ]

Reply 2 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

probably 0.63 specific.
the debian version is based on a cvs version of dosbox. (2 weeks after the release when some newly discovered bugs were fixed)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!