VOGONS

First post, by Trylobyte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whenever I try to run M.A.X. (DOSBox v0.63, game installed through DOSBox) it runs fine for a few seconds, going through the registration thing then starting up as normal. Then it pauses for a bit, stops, and gives me this delightfully ambiguous error:

Error: Detection System Failed To Find Hardware

Then it exits out automatically, locking up the DOSBox interface and not allowing me to type anything.

It does this no matter how much or how little CPU power I give it. It does this consistently, regardless of installation size, whether the CD is mounted or not. I've reinstalled the game itself multiple times. The sound works fine in the setup utility, and the mouse works fine in the other games I've played in DOSBox. I'm using a normal core, though it does this on Dynamic as well.

Misc. Note: I'm using DOS32a (v7.35) instead of DOS4gw.

I've searched the forums and can't find anything related. Did I miss something, or is this just one of those strange errors I have a knack for getting?

Reply 1 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

try disabling all sound hardware inside dosbox. (or see if you can reconfigure the game to use no sound)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 3, by Trylobyte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nevermind. I can get it to run by switching from Sound Blaster to Gravis. But running the game still causes problems with the keyboard - When I exit, any key I press gives me a strange symbol (Such as the suits of a deck of cards, or various arrows).