VOGONS

First post, by The Wanderer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Once, some time ago (but still after the release of 0.63), I spent some time fiddling around with DOSbox and succeeded in getting Master of Magic to run. It was slow - no more than about two-thirds of the expected speed, which is too slow to really have fun with - but other than that, unless my memory is failing me even more than it usually does, it worked just fine.

Nowadays, I track DOSbox CVS, when I need to run DOS programs at all. Master of Magic still runs fine, up until the point at which it tries to load the actual game-play world map (either loading a saved game or starting a new game); at that point, it hangs for an extended period, then fails with "CPU:GRP5:Illegal Call 7". I understand that this message most likely means that there is something going on which DOSbox doesn't support, but that seems like an odd thing to be happening in this case, since the game did once run without problems other than speed - and since the game appears to work well for other people, since it's listed as "supported" in no fewer than three entries in the game database.

In my attempts to get the game working properly again, I've gone so far as to revert to earlier versions of DOSbox (0.63 and various CVS versions) - and, much to my surprise, they now produce the exact same error as the current CVS version does. This leads me to suspect that the difference is something which has changed on my system, rather than something which has changed in DOSbox, but I'm not sure what it could be.

(For the record, I have gone through the archives of this forum, and have read some of the responses made to other people who have posted about the same error message in various other programs. The only thing I've seen suggested as a possible solution is loadfix; when I try that, if I tie up less than a certain amount of memory there is no change, and if I tie up more than that amount then the game fails immediately with an "insufficient memory" error. Also, on a vague memory of when the game worked before, I have gone in and turned off all sound in the game's configuration program; doing so produced no change, it still failed in the same place with the same error.)

I'm running Linux, with an Athlon XP 2200+ CPU, 512MP of PC3200 RAM, sound card built in to the motherboard (and has produced sound just fine in DOSbox in the past IIRC), GeForce FX 5200 128MB, and the version of Master of Magic which gets installed directly from the CD (I don't remember where to look to find the exact version number). If more information is needed, I'd be glad to provide it.

Reply 1 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm did you perhaps install a configuartion file for dosbox somewhere ?
and could you confirm the integrety of you master of magic files ?
Else you could upload your "broken" savegame to see if happends for other people here.

(another thing. What was the compiler used on 0.63 (when it worked) and what is the current compiler ? )

edit which compiler settings did you use and could you try compiling with less optimalisations ?
CXXFLAGS="-O0" ./configure && make clean && make

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 2, by The Wanderer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think I've got any DOSbox configuration files - I certainly don't remember creating any such thing, and 'locate -i dosbox' returns - let me see. My CVS source tree, the man page, the DOSbox binary, an 0.61 tarball, and - yes - a dosbox.conf... but it's located in an obscure part of my filesystem, in the directory where one of my DOS programs is installed, and none of my problems have arisen while running from that directory. So no, I don't think a pre-existing configuration file is the problem.

Master of Magic - I don't have the faintest idea how it could have gotten damaged, since this is the same copy I had installed (and working) before IIRC, and it was certainly installed from the same CD; if the files on the CD are not valid, then I have no way of testing my installed files for validity.

I can't upload a "broken savegame", no, because it isn't a problem with one specific save game; it happens every time the game would go to the world map, not just when loading a saved game but also when starting a new game.

I do not remember what the compiler I used for the working version was, but yes, there is a chance that it was not the same one I'm using now. I'm currently compiling things with gcc 3.3.5, provided through Debian - but I have on my system gcc 2.95, 3.0, 3.2 and 3.3; I could try compiling with another version, if need be, although the logistics might be complicated.

Compiler settings are purely default - I'm simply running with 'make distclean ; ./configure ; make; make install'. (Sometimes I omit the 'make distclean', but I did it with yesterday's CVS source before posting, and it did not change the results.) The defaults apparently include -O2; I will try recompiling with -O0, but I don't especially expect it to change much.