VOGONS

First post, by buttertweet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Continuing my Windows 3.1 audio escapades, I am now trying to get the sound working under sbtype=sbpro1 (CT1330). (Setting opltype to dualopl2 with type sb16 and its associated drivers does not work - MIDI output is random/hissy/offkey)

There are two versions of the 3.1 SBPro1 files floating around out there:

SBPW31 - drivers are slightly smaller, so I assume this is the older version. I cannot get any sound at all in 3.1 using these.
SBPWU - larger and I assume later version. WAV output works in 3.1, but FM MIDI does not. The midi file itself will play without an error message, but I cannot hear anything.

Any ideas? I am speculating that there is a "latest and greatest" SBPFM.DRV out there somewhere that does work, but I don't know where it is. Or is this one of those fringe cases that has not been implemented in Dosbox? One possible clue - installing the mono SBFM.DRV does give MIDI sound with sbtype=sbpro1, but of course it is mono.

Reply 1 of 1, by buttertweet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Making some progress but not really. I just noticed CANYON.MID actually plays fine, but most other midi files do not. Adding additional channels to the Ext FM MIDI mapping (which only has channels 1-12 populated by default) allows those files to play, but for some reason they sound like OPL3 rather than OPL2. This is especially easy to hear with Canyon:
- OPL2: Intro sounds like bells
- OPL3: Intro sounds like some kind of synth.

Still trying to get dual OPL2 on all MIDI's (i.e. OPL2 sound on all, stereo on the ones that have that capability), not sure if it is possible. I notice my version of Canyon is format 0, I suspect that has something to do with it, but simply converting the other songs to 0 does not make them playable.