VOGONS

First post, by djpeterso23662

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good afternoon! I am working to configure DOSBox on Ubuntu Linux 16.04 to be started by a Perl wrapper, which is itself started by Apache2 as a CGI. Have you had any luck getting a similar configuration to run?

My specific problem is that Perl stops on line where

system("/usr/bin/dosbox") 

tries to launch DOSBox. The Perl script runs fine and returns data from DOSBox outside of Apache2. Apache2 reports that it can start DOSBox outside of Perl, and that it sees the DOSBox version it receives on Standard Input. It seems tantalizingly close to working.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Reply 1 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have found that DOSbox executables distributed by Ubuntu have in the past been horrendously out of date, by sometimes decades, and buggy. Possibly you will have an easier time with this if you ensure that you have a version compiled from up to date sources.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 7, by djpeterso23662

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your feedback @xcomcmdr and @bitwrangler, I really appreciate it. I cleared a couple of hurdles. I needed to link dosbox and my DOS apps folder inside cgi-bin to clear the permissions error. I also switched to SDL_VIDEODRIVER dummy and SDL_AUDIODRIVER file to avoid also errors. The dosbox banner window starts but that’s about all. So, so close. Runs okay outside Apache but not inside it. Tried on different boxes and distros with same results.

DOSbox seems pretty stable and well behaved, so I’m pretty sure it my error. Successful Docker projects make me hopeful.

Reply 4 of 7, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you give some hints at what you are trying to do? Are you trying to write a webapp that uses dosbox for some functionality, or simply set something up to be able to trigger the opening of dosbox from a remote machine?

Reply 6 of 7, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Web version of DOSBox lives here: (not affiliated with the original DOSBox project): https://github.com/caiiiycuk/js-dos

I've already used it successfully with tons of games, and at the time it was the v6.xx branch.

It's also used by archive.org.