VOGONS

First post, by junglemike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Curretnly I have Pentium 3 - 1000mhz @133mhz, 384mb sdram @133mhz
Warcraft2 runs little slower, but playable, while Doom2 runs very much slower, and totally unplayable.
TIA.

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doom
http://www.doomsdayhq.com/

(Don't worry you can either disable all the fancy graphics effects and lower the resolution down to 320x200...or download a different port)

Warcraft 2
Get the battle.net edition if possible

If not...

IIRC, Warcraft 2 (DOS) runs in Windows 2000/XP. Don't know about multiplayer but single player works.

If you MUST run War2 in DosBox then I suggest you download this CVS build of DosBox:

http://ykhwong.x-y.net/page.htm

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by junglemike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the answer, Soomsday looks very nice, and definitely worth checking.
As for worcraft, what about Battle. net? - How is it different from original warcraft2 (which cd i have currently) except for internet multiplayer.

IIRC, Warcraft 2 (DOS) runs in Windows 2000/XP. Don't know about multiplayer but single player works.

Maybe I did something wrong, but warcraft2 (original) doesn't work in 2k/XP, If I try to launch it from cmd.exe (full screen) - It complains that music card not found, and prompts me to run setup. I run setup, choose No sound, and no midi, hit "save and exit", and again it complains that music card not found. It simply doesn't rmember changes .

But even if it DID work - it wouldn't worth it playing War2 w/o sound.
In DosBox, everything work - including sound,and midi music. Just a little slower.

If you sure that War2 works under 2k - than how?
TIA.

Reply 3 of 6, by junglemike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried your link, and downloaded latest SVC version from there, but unfortunately it doesn't work. When i try to load War2.exe - i get this error:
war2.gif
But if this new version would run faster than 0.63 - I would be definitely interested to make it work ( if possible), because speed is pretty jerky, And i get killed fast, cos i can't control my forces fast enough. 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To run War2 in 2K/XP you'll need to download and use VDMSound for sound. VDMSound 2.1.0 PUBLIC BETA

The only diff between battle.net and the DOS edition is that the battle.net edition is for Windows and that it doesn't have the DOS CD soundtrack. (I ripped the soundtrack to MP3 or stick the CD in while playing)

You'll need to download DOS32A and then bind the DOS32A executable with the warcraft 2 executable to get rid of that message, probably.

[ANN]: DOS/32A v9.1.2 has been released

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 6, by junglemike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks much. I'm almost there. VDM really emulates the sound. and worcraft is working incredibly fast under Win2k w/o dos emulation. The only problem now - in the game mouse moves only on the left top quater of the screen 🙁 Maybe it is because i have usb mouse? and war2 doesn't work correctly w/ it?