VOGONS

Struggling with 256 Color in DOSBOX-X

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by totallyradd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, new user here. I am probably on the younger side here ('98) but have always had a fascination with old computer games and hardware. Today I have spent the better part of 6 hours installing Windows 3.1 and drivers to play Total Distortion (1995). I got the game installed and running, but forgot it needs to be in 256 color mode.

Previously I kept trying to install the full suite of S3 drivers per the guides, but it continually claimed it could not find OEMSETUP.INF, which was very much in the specified directory I was pointing to (C:\WINROOT\WINDOWS\S3drivers). So I gave up and chose the native VGA 640 x 480 with 256 color and installed using disks 1,2, and 5 as instructed by SETUP. Upon completion, Windows 3.1 is no longer bootable. I have only ever worked with Windows 95 so this is all new to me and I would really appreciate some guidance/pointers. Do I need to put the S3 drivers into ISO format and mount it to A/B drive respectively and try again with SETUP? Do I need to reinstall 3.1 all together?

Attachments

• Filename
    win31.conf
    File size
    790 Bytes
    Downloads
    53 downloads
    File comment
    Windows 3.1 configuration file for DOSBOX-X
    File license
    Public domain