VOGONS

First post, by MaxMod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there fellow nerds,

I am having issues with some dosbox games on my MacOS and would love to hear your input.

I tried launching two games, Warcraft 2 and Command and Conquer Red Alert and seem to be experiencing the same issues with both. I imagine it's an easy fix but don't have experience with dosbox so would appreciate your help.

Issue 1:
games have no sound.

issue 2:
game work only in window mode, when i try to enter fullscreen mode they crash.

I an running them on:
MacOS Mojave 10.14.6,
MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)
Processor: 1,3 GHz Intel Core M

don't know what my soundcard is, i guess the origiinal in this model.
have tried launching them in different screen resolutions but that didnt help with the fullscreen mode.

Thank you for any advice

Last edited by MaxMod on 2023-08-30, 22:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sound usually has to be configured in Dosbox for each game in their respective setup programs (usually called setup.exe, setsound.exe, install.exe or something similar), since that is how things worked on real DOS-era computers. Dosbox is emulating a Sound Blaster compatible card. Your physical computer's sound chip shouldn't matter.

As for full screen, try changing the options under the [sdl] section of your preferences file. See wiki for how to find it on Mac:
https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf#.5Bsdl.5D

I would try:
fullresolution = desktop
output = opengl

Reply 2 of 6, by MaxMod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you Feda,

this is some great advice,

thanks to your help i already managed to solve at least part of the issue with the fullscreen.

I managed to edit dosbox.conf and edit "fullresolution"
from fullresolution=1024x640
to
fullresolution=desktop

"output" was already set to opengl

now it allows me to go into fullscreen mode although it crashes the system and logs me out every time i quit the game. do you have any ideas how i could try to resolve this ?

Last edited by MaxMod on 2023-08-30, 21:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by MaxMod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the no sound issue might be a bit more complex, since you can't run an .exe file on a macos.
i did locate setup.exe but am not able to launch it with anything....

there is a lot of sound options in the dosbox.conf file, do you think editing one of them could solve this issue?

Reply 5 of 6, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MaxMod wrote on 2023-08-30, 21:05:

the no sound issue might be a bit more complex, since you can't run an .exe file on a macos.
i did locate setup.exe but am not able to launch it with anything....

Run the sound setup from inside Dosbox (same way you launched the game's executable).
I have no idea why it's crashing. Try surface or overlay instead (ddraw won't work since it's a Windows thing).

Reply 6 of 6, by MaxMod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE

I managed to run the setup.exe with dosbox, was not easy on mac but after forcing to launch the app, the sound works great now, thank you again feda.

So the only remaining issue I have is that the game crashes the operating system and logs me out after quitting the game from fullscreen mode. any ideas how to solve this?

tried changing output to surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb and ddraw, unfortunately none of them fixed this issue.