VOGONS

First post, by the forgotten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unforunately not being quite so computer literite I cannot give you my motherboard or some of my other information, I can give you my operating system and a few others, I can't locate it in the manual, i also have a dell. I have windows XP home edition, and I have an intel pentium 4 processer. My problem is I am trying to run wing commander armada, and I run it with dosbox and all it says is EMS driver is not VCPI complient. So, i figured its EMS so I went to the config. I switched EMS to false. But now, it says loading Armada and then says initializing EMS, then quits. so I switched back, now I get the same thing before. What do I do?

Reply 2 of 6, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

EMS needs to be switched off for WCA to work, so leave that off.

Also, in my experience, WCA has some problems with having too much free memory. So, before you start the game, type "loadfix" at the DOSBox prompt.

As a bonus, I'll tell you that I've found that WCA works best at 3263 cycles. (normal core, 0 frameskip)

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 3 of 6, by the forgotten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i see. well i am using dosbox 0.63. also i type in loadfix but then if i type armada.exe it does not work. the only way it works is if i use the file armada.exe on top of the dosbox shortcut icon. any suggestions there?

Reply 4 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe try using a frontend like D-Fend - it might be able to set up DOSBox for you with the proper settings for that game. Another possibility is to try running with an experimental but newer CVS version of DOSBox (see the development forum for more details).

Reply 5 of 6, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the forgotten wrote:

i see. well i am using dosbox 0.63. also i type in loadfix but then if i type armada.exe it does not work.

"it does not work" is a little vague. If you mean the game doesn't even attempt to start, then you've probably not mounted the directory in which it is installed. I'm not gonna tell you how to do that, since it's explained in the DOSBox readme and has been discussed on these forums more often than I can count.

Using a front-end is a good idea (assuming it has the possibility to specify that "loadfix" should be executed before the game).

Reply 6 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

D-Fend has.

BTW the next version of dosbox doesn't need loadifx for WCA (unfortunate that didn't fix wc2 lvl2)
(and doesn't need ems off either).

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!