VOGONS

First post, by Ron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some time ago I installed Dosbox 0.63 on my computer. Now I can play almost any game I have.
There is one problem. I am not sure it has to do anything with Dosbox, but it started after I installed it, and I could not find any reference on the website or forums: the computer keeps checking drive A (the floppy drive), all the time: when I start the computer, when I close the computer, when I enter Dosbox, when I browse between Dosbox and other applications, etc. Perhaps I did something wrong while installing Dosbox?

Again, I am not sure that Dosbox has anything to do with the above problem. Please help me to fix it.

Reply 2 of 8, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 98 ? ME ? XP ?

Try going to your 'Start' menu, then run. Type regedit.
Make sure "My Computer", is highlighted, at the top. Now goto Edit, then find, and type a:\
And see if you find anything. If you do, just check each entry to see if you see anything you recognise, then delete it. Keep pressing F3 until you reach the end.

I found this sometimes works, as I had this about 6 months ago and it drove me mad. I found 3 entries in the registry, deleted them all, and never had it since. It turned out to be a document I saved to floppy, some weeks before, and it's MUICache entries were still there.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 3 of 8, by Ron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am Windows XP (SP2).

I already contacted the support team of the antivirus I have. They told me how to cancel the option of the antivirus program checking the floppy drive. This did not solve the problem. I disabled the antivirus completely, but no avail.

OK, I opened the registration editor and found 2 enteries at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> Protocols -> Handler -> Wia. Both enteries are of REG_SZ type, but I am not familiar with them. Would deleting them cause damage to my computer?

Reply 6 of 8, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Deleting them shouldn't hurt, but I would export them first.
Just highlight the main key on the left side of the window, NOT the actual a:\ entry, goto to File, then Export, Make sure "Selected Branch", is ticked at the bottom, and give it a name and save it somewhere. Do the same for any other entries.
Now reboot, and see if it helps. If not, simply double-click those saved files, and merge them back into the registry. If it does help, delete the save files.

Also, check your MUICache at this address in the registry.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache]

And see if anything points to the A:\ drive. If it does, delete it. You could just delete everything in that area, as it's only cache.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 7 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can also create a manual SYSTEM RESTORE snapshot-> Accesories -> System Tools -> System Restore

Then, you can restore it at a later point if needed.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)