VOGONS

First post, by treerider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😵 😵 😵

I bought a PQ collection years ago, and just dusted it off to play again.

I was starting off with PQ1 VGA, and all was well initially, I couldnt succesfully install it, but I could play it off the CD with midi sound. Then I got to a point where this particular version freezes which I need a patch for(Cant patch it it and play off the CD, right?). Not only that, but my sound suddenly stops working with the games all together. ALL of them.

First off, now it seems impossible to continue PQ1, and I cant stand trying them without sounds anyway. Tried a lot of stuff, tried to unsuccesfully get some sound drivers to work.

Anyway, in my desperate pursuit I came here. Will DOSBOX work with my CD? Will it allow me to play what I have installed(if itis correctly installed, it may just not let me play it). Will it fix my sound problem at least? Do I need to download cracked versions of the games?

Thanks for the help.

Reply 1 of 12, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have every old sierra game working with full sound and speed in dosbox. Just set the sound as "Sound Blaster" and for music "Sound Blaster or compatibles" (Sound blaster w/o compatibles gets you speech/digital effects in some games wheres compatbles uses adlib)

Remember to set the cycles only as high as needed because these games have timer issues. I set mine to about "9000" for best results but this will vary depending on how fast your CPU is.

Reply 4 of 12, by treerider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good, I got PQ vga up and running with sound on it..

How do I load saves, then? Im entering in the directory I have them at, but when I do it in dosbox, it says its invalid. I entered in -c mount C C:\saves after the file to open the game, but still cant load my previous saves.

It freezes up after Berts park drug bust, wanted to see if that was still the case in Dosbox. Have no idea how to implement the patch that supposedly corrects that error.

Reply 5 of 12, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just mount "c" as the directory where the game is located -

mount c: c:\sierra\pq1

Then select "Restore" in the game and it should work. Remember to keep the cycles low enough to avoid any timer bugs.

Reply 8 of 12, by treerider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I got what you were saying this time, I nod only di it load, but it got me through the spot where it was freezing, good stuff.

Is it supoosed to be midi sound for VGA, though?

When you were referring to setting soundblaster, was that during installation or in DOSbox, because if its in DOSbox I cant figure out how.

Reply 9 of 12, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

During the installation. Go into the game's diretcory (sierra\pq1) and run install.exe and choose "Sound Blaster" for speech and "Sound blaster / Adlib" for music. 😀 You'll have to test for a good cycle amount to get driving scenes playable and to avoid any timer bugs.

Reply 11 of 12, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
treerider wrote:

I keep getting this thing about 'out of environment space', then it skips over the sound and other options 'illegal command:what'...

By the way, thanks for all the help.

In the install or the game? 😖 Try lowering the cycles a bit to get rid of troublesome error messages.