VOGONS

First post, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you haven't heard of this one, it's an action / strategy game by Infogrames. You lead an anti-terrorist team trying to make its way into a captured embassy. The game consists of the following sections:

- Crossing the street in front of the embassy with all your men, until at least one arrives to their assigned possition.

yliR2rQ.png

- Sniping the terrorists visible through the embassy windows.

MUYmRCl.png

- Rappelling from the roof and entering the embassy from a window.

- Doing a sweep of the entire embassy looking for terrorists and hostages.

My first question is if the insane flickering during the intro is due to the game or DOSBox, and if there's any way to fix it. I'm running the game with machine=ega.

Also, I'm not entirely sure if the game is playable on speeds faster than 3000 cycles, because as I said the gameplay consists of mini-games and I haven't managed to enter the embassy yet, I'm stuck at the rappelling section.

Last edited by Neville on 2023-10-08, 20:10. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by sneeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Had a feeling it sounded familier, its called hostages in europe.
I played it on the amiga back in the day, you could try running the amiga version under winuae, Ive ran it on a real A1200 with whdload and it was fine, even with an 040 and Workbench 3.2On the Amiga it came out when an A500 was the norm.

Reply 2 of 6, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, well, I know of the other versions. If I had to choose I'd take the Amstrad CPC one, because I owned one of those back in the day.

However, I thought I'd post this here, and see if anybody has answers to my questions.

Reply 3 of 6, by Makus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Neville, for now the game works without flickering only in DOSBox SVN Daum 20150125.
DOSBox Staging developers are investigating, it seems to be a timing issue: https://github.com/dosbox-staging/dosbox-staging/issues/2905

Reply 5 of 6, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This was released on NES as "Embassy: The Rescue Mission" and it was one of my fave games. I was so good at it, that I could beat it on the highest difficulty setting, which was always a rare treat.