VOGONS

First post, by treerider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When installing any of the PQ collection games, whether from windows or through DOSbox, an error preempts my selection of soundcard.

When installing through windows, it just blows by them and closes the install window. When through DOSbox, as soon as I select the directory, it says 'Out of Environment Space', and then when I select drive C, it also skips over all the sound, memory, etc selections.

I can get all the games playing with MIDI sound, but my inability to select soundblaster apparently screws me.

Anyone know why? Anything more you need to know?

Please dont delete this, I cannot find the answer anywhere.

Reply 1 of 14, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I own the original PQ collection cd so I know for sure the original dos install is included. After you've run that godawful windows install, go into dosbox and then run the "install.exe" that is in the games directory on your harddrive (eg C:\sierra\pq1\install.exe) and that should work like a charm for running it in dosbox.

Reply 2 of 14, by treerider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I run the windows install, it creates the directory C:\sierra which has a batch file for the game I installed, and a subdirectory pqcol. The batch file does not work in or out of DOSbox, and the pqcol has various files, but no install.exe.

I have PQcol: 4 most wanted, do you have the one that includes SWAT? I think theres two collections...

Reply 3 of 14, by Guest

User metadata

Yes, but I'm sure they are the same. I can't give the accurate directory layout as I don't accept the defaults (since everything dos related is under one roof on my pc) There ought to still be an install.exe for changing settings after you set it up. You selected which game to install correct? Well inside that game's folder (C:\sierra\pqcol\pq1 ?) there should be an install.exe, in fact I'm positive because every single sierra game ever made has it....

What is the folder layout starting from C:\sierra when you install one of the games?

Reply 5 of 14, by treerider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

C:\sierra\pqcol

Ive installed each of all 4 games from their individual folders from D:.

I get a useless bat file for each under C:\sierra, and under C:\sierra\pqcol, I have resource.pq1(2,3,4) files, and pqsg files and that is all. No more folders, no install.exe.

I get no individual folders for the individual games I install.

I even ran a search of my computer for index.exe to see if they got sent somewhere else, but no.

Ive reinstalled several times, no luck.

Weird.

Reply 6 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The collection's installer is worthless under XP. Just copy each game's folder to your hard drive and you can manually edit the RESOURCE.CFG file to setup your harware for the games.

Edit: I just tried installing the collection. the Windows installer works OK. Only PQ4 has a Windows game, the others are DOS only, so the windows installer will install DOS versions of the first 3.

Reply 7 of 14, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You probably are better off copying them then. You shouldn't have resource.pqx etc....thats really wierd. I guess that collection is very different because the one I have seperates the games in folders (as far as I recall)