VOGONS

First post, by Cybane Choker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Firstly, I want to say thanks to everyone that put together DOSBox, and everyone still working on it. I'd given up hope for playing most of my old dos games for years, so when I stumbled onto this program it really blew me away. I've been having more fun playing all my old games than I did when I first bought them, methinks.

Anyway, I am having a minor sound problem with one such game. I'm not sure its a problem or just something I've overlooked, but I havent found any old thread discussing it so I thought I'd ask:

The game is Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail, the cd version. The music works just fine, but there isn't any other sound. I've tried switching the sound config around to all the available options, but no luck. Sound effects seem to work just fine on the other games I've played so far, just not this one.

If it helps, I'm running DOSBox 6.2 on windows xp, 2 gb ram, a sound blaster pci card, a fairly new GeForce FX, I have no idea what kind of motherboard, and I was drinking a diet 7up when I first noticed the issue. Before you ask, yes I have already tried playing the game while NOT drinking a diet 7up, but still no sound effects.

Reply 1 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Try reconfiguring sound. I positively know that RoA2:Star Trail works perfectly with music + voices because I played it under DOSBox 0.63 some days ago. Unfortunately, you may experiece some weird palette behaviour that forces you to exit the game and reload your last save.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 5, by Cybane Choker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply! Hmmmm, okay so by reconfiguring the sound do you mean the sound file in the game directory, or the sound setup in the dosbox config file?

I tried all of the games sound options already, but no luck. Most of them don't even ask for specs like port #, IRQ, DMA, etc, so I don't really know what to change in the dosbox config.

Its encouraging to hear that it works for everyone else, makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I should try diet dr. pepper....

Oh, and yeah I was having that graphical issue as well, but I saw the fix for it on here and it works great 😀

Do you think it could be that I'm using DOSBox 6.2?

Reply 3 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should try latest 0.63 at least, or even get a CVS version. Search the forum to learn more.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 5, by Cybane Choker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I tried 6.3 and it works beautifully. I suppose I should have tried that first before posting here (doh!).

It probably works just fine on 6.2 as well, its likely just something to do with the dosbox config file I was using. I recall making some minor adjustments to it some time ago, I must have done something ROA didn't take kindly to.

Anyway, thanks for your help!