VOGONS

First post, by Maurice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I managed to get XCom1 and XCom2 to run under DOSBox - great, I loved those games! Having finished them, I decided to give XCom3 a try as well (I have all 3 games as original CD's).

Installing seemed a bit problematic, especially when trying to select the proper soundcard. Auto-detect yielded me a Soundblaster Pro (the soundtest worked, I could hear the 'siren' sound), but whenever I would select another soundcard manually (without even testing or changing any settings), the install program locked up.

Getting it to run was another issue, but with help of the no-CD thingy suggested elsewhere, I got it to run finally, with sounds, albeit a bit choppy at times. However, now I am running into another issue; while on the 2D city map, I can move the mouse to the edge of the screen to scroll over the town. At the moment I reach the edge, the window scroll all the way in the direction of where I wanted to scroll to, to the edge of the map and then the game locks up. The game also locks up when I try to quit the game, as well as during a few other things.

In each of those instances, the DOS-box window that showed some statistics would also show this line:

SHELL:Redirect output to nul

I have tried to search for this on the forum, but I could not find anything on this one. I did try the mouse2kv option as well, but with the same result as written above.

Edit: Ok, I tried again, this time disabling sounds. Without any sounds, the game runs fine, seemingly. I looked into the sound issues, found a link to some files (in the same post where I also found the files for the mouse), but the link is dead. Any ideas/hints?

Edit 2:
Oops, normally I do this automatically, but this time I forgot to add my system specs (I blame it on the time of the day 😉 )

1. Motherboard:
ASUS P4C800 DeLuxe

2. Processor type and speed:
Intel Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz

3. Amount and type of RAM:
1 GB DDR

4. Video board w/ RAM amount and type:
Radeon 9800 Pro, 256 MB DDR

5. Sound board:
Soundblaster Audigy 2

6. Operating system:
Windows XP Pro, SP2 installed

7. Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution)
Software, using 800x600 resolution for the DOSBox.

8. Version of emulator (for VDMSound, probably 2.0.4 or 2.1.0; for DOSBox, 0.58+):
DOSBox: 0.63 (as downloaded from this site)
VDMSound: None, only link I found to it was dead

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

that messsage tells that an new executable is run from a .bat file which redirects the output. Do you run the game from a bat file. Could you see what is in it ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 6, by Maurice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure, I use the .bat file that came along with the CD-emulator thingy that someone suggested. Without it, XCOM Apoc would not even run.

These are the contents as I have it right now (although I have not attempted to play it ever since I made the previous post):

@echo off
fakecd .. /L:D >nul
xcom3_cd.com
mouse2kv 640 480 8 8 xcomapoc.exe SKIP
rem Uninstall process
xcom3_cd.com
fakecd /U >nul
mode co80
cls
pause

I added the line of "mouse2kv 640 480 8 8 xcomapoc.exe SKIP" instead of the "xcomapoc.exe SKIP" that used to be there, but adding the mouse program did not change anything.

Reply 4 of 6, by Maurice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, ok, guess I'll remove it again then 😉

Anyway, since it seems to be the sound acting up (as I wrote in the edit of my first post, without sound the game runs without problems, no lockups that I could find), what about the VDMSound thing? Is that also not for DOSBox? Or if it is, where can I download it? The only link I found is a dead one.

Reply 5 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Correct, VDMSound is not for DOSBox but rather only for running games in a DOS command prompt window in Windows.

If you're having sound problems, you may need to turn up or turn down your cycles in DOSBox. You may also need to make sure that the game is configured properly to use the virtual sound cards that DOSBox emulates.