VOGONS

First post, by tk05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within seems to trigger a bug related to what seems like some unhandled call. This affects save games only. If playing off Chapter One(Disc one) only, everything seems pretty much perfect. But if you go to a different chaptrer(different disc), save a game, quit, and try to load the save game from the other chapter the screen goes black and dosbox exits with Illegal Call 7. It should be noted that the game's main menu seems to be read from disc one. I thought I could work around this by saving a game at the end of each chapter and thus just load the end of the chapter 1, play to chapter 2 and then load the game from the end of chapter 2 and play to chapter 3 and so on but most of the time on other chapters it won't load save games within these chapters(it did for a while in chapter 2 but I tried saving that game close to the end of chapter 2). This just strikes me as a really strange bug. I think SCI(Sierra's engine for these games) only saves by memory dumps which should be simple to restore. I have copied all six game discs to the hard drive and have them mounted as separate drives. I've also been able to duplicate this behavior on a different machine running a completely different Linux distribution. I'm hoping that there's some fix or work around for this since I'd actually set this game up for my father who's getting a big frusterated with be required to replay most of the game again each time just to get back to where he was. Save states really seem feasible for dosbox, I'm not sure why no has thought of implementing this.

Reply 1 of 1, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've played this game many times but I've yet to do it under dosbox. However one thing I do know is that the main menu is NOT only located on disk 1. You can insert another cd (if you are on a different chapter) and load your game. I'm almost positive.

I could be wrong but perhaps this error you are having has something to do with dosbox not liking cd swapping? I haven't yet played a game that requires it under dosbox so I could not accurately say.

I would try to use a CVS version of dosbox and see what happens, maybe the behavior was fixed?