VOGONS

First post, by Sandanjuu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After having a bit of nostalgia, I decided to load up and play through the QFG series again.

I own all original floppy copies of QFG 1-4.
With 1-3, I was able to play perfectly fine.

With 4, I'm getting a crash (that ends up crashing DosBox with an "Exit to Error: CPU:" error if I don't type anything into the crashed game box.

Everywhere else I walk works, at least that I've seen. I genuinely don't understand whats going on. I've tried playing without the qfg4 patch for floppy (questformoreglory.com) and I've tried searching google, these forums.. I can't find anyone mentioning having this issue.

I genuinely don't understand whats going on.

No, I can't play the game in Windows, because I don't have the CD version. The floppy version seems to have a dislike for my video drivers when I try to use the sierrawi(shadows windows starter)

Does anyone have a suggestion? I genuinely have no idea what to do at this point. I've spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out wtf is going on.

Attachments

• error.png
    Filename
    error.png
    File size
    37.13 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Image of error/crash
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure what that could be, but I haven't tried playing the floppy version of QFG4 in DOSBox before. You could try different core= settings in your dosbox.conf, or maybe try a CVS build of DOSBox (see the development forum).

You could also try using DOS32A extender instead of the DOS4GW that I think the game uses (search the forum for info).

Reply 2 of 21, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was just going to type in something like that, but HunterZ was faster than me. 😎

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 21, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You just walked into that screen for it to happen? 😐 I've never seen that error....QFG4 is full of timer bugs and crashes but that isn't one of them. Try HunterZ's suggestion and come back to us.

On the same subject, did the game crash at all while coming down the slippery path in the intro? If so then the cycles are too high for one thing.

Reply 5 of 21, by Sandanjuu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've only changed the cycles up to 7000, because in QFG4 my character 'stutters' when he walks, like every 3-4 steps he'll stutter for a half a second then keep walking.

I've tried using dynamic core.

When I use dos32a, the game never loads. I get a screen full of illegal writes in the dosbox console, then a termination from dosbox itself.

I genuinely have no idea what the heck to do next.

Attachments

• error2.png
    Filename
    error2.png
    File size
    12.62 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Sigh.. Dosbox console crash when usin dos32a
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 21, by Sandanjuu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think that might be a possibility. I just borrowed a friends cd copy of the game from his 4disc collection, installed, ran straight to the graveyard, no crash. When I quit, I see the same white text crash, but hte game works.

My character stutters horribly though as he runs, don't know whats causing that. he like, stops running then keeps running, constantly.

I think it's my 6th and 7th discs that are corrupt, every other disk works fine but those two won't read, my drive just accesses forever. I tried copying the discs with windows, and near the end of hte copy they'd say the media is unreadable, so I'd eject it and put it back in and it'd work again, letting me copy it, but I'm assuming it didn't really finish copying.

Reply 9 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, sounds like corrupt disks. You might have luck reading them in a different floppy drive. If it was me, I wouldn't feel bad copying my friend's version of the game (assuming he is okay with it) to replace the one you legitimately own, as I doubt Sierra would be willing to replace it for you.

Edit: Nice avatar BTW 😀

Reply 10 of 21, by Sandanjuu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🤣 thanks, D is the greatest.

Well, I considered that, but when I run the cd version in dosbox (using the dos boot) the game acts veyr, very erratic.. mouse moves way too fast, text goes by ridiculously fast, and I crash at the slime trail like other people have mentioned..

But with dosbox running, I can't see how it would be a speed issue. I also tried the various qfg4 patches vailable for the CD version to fix issues, and none of them worked. *sigh*

So much work to play one game. 🤣

Edit: Forgot to mention, that dos32a also doesn't work with the cd version.. it doesn't spam that illegal error, it just says segment fault missing cpu something or other.

Reply 11 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was having that erratic gameplay problem as well, but I thought it was because I was being lazy and not mounting the CD-ROM fully before running the game in DOSBox. I never took the time to try.

Reply 12 of 21, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I run the cd version at 10000 w/ dynamic core and it doesn't crash at the "hotspots" (swamp+tomb) and its perfect speed 😁

I should also mention that this is using my resource "no cd" method to play speech. I'm working on a guide to post it here.

Reply 15 of 21, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...you guys are pulling my leg here. 😁 I've been slacking on it sorry. Well I'm not doing anything now...should I start it? It requires some steps that are unique to certain games, so it may take me awhile.

Where would I post it btw, the guides section? I want to make sure its in the right spot.

Reply 16 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's DOSBox specific, it should go in DOSBox Guides. Otherwise it should probably go in Deep Thought.

As a moderator, I can always move it around for you if you or someone else doesn't like where it initially ends up.

Reply 19 of 21, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm going to need clearance HunterZ! 😅 I don't have access to the DOSbox guide forum so instead I'll post it under the Games forum ok? Please move it when you next get on 😁 Thanks.