VOGONS

First post, by MoM God

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive had DOSBox about 8 hours and im racking my brains out trying to get it to work. ive been on this site for 3 hours trying every little thing posted but i just dont seem to be getting any success. since getting DOSBox i can start up the game, but when it finishes 'building the world' my screen goes black and freezes.i cant find seem to find out how to fix this so if you have overcome this problem already please tell me how

I HAVE:
Windows XP
600 mhz
64mg nvidia graphics
generic sound card
DOSBox version .63
MoM cd

WHAT I TYPE IN DOSBOX:
mount c C:\mps\magic
mount d F:\ -t cdrom -label mpsmagic._cd
C:
Magic

MY PROBLEM
after choosing my mage, books, race, and flag, the game tries to build the world. but everytime it finishes the screen goes black and it freezes.

also i kno this is covered elsewhere but how do you edit the config file to where you dont have to mount the drives every time you start up DOSBox?

i never had this problem before. when i had windows 98 i could just open a dos window and run MoM there ( i know im getting sidetracked but which is better, Windows XP or 98? XP seems to have tons of glitches and problems without any benifiets )

Swords are sharp and Axes bring doom, but Magic can kill without a wound

Reply 1 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mounting the drives: Just put the commands in the [autoexec] section.

You might try messing with the core= setting (e.g. use normal instead of dynamic, or vice versa), or using a recent CVS build of DOSBox (see the development forum). Note that 600MHz is a bit slow for running DOSBox - how long have you waited at the black screen?

Also, did you install the game from the CD using that mount setup? If not, it may be looking in the wrong place...

Reply 2 of 17, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well XP is much more stable and speedy than windows 98, from my experience. Thanks to dosbox I don't feel the need for dos anymore.

Anyway...

To get dosbox to automount add your mount commands to the "autoexec" section of the dosbox.conf file.

As for your game issue I'm unsure what to say, also since I have no idea what MoM is... 😕

EDIT - Damn you're quick... 😅

Reply 4 of 17, by MoM God

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey hunterz, im new at DOS, COMPLETLY NEW, sorry shoulda told ya, and the config file dont tell me anything but wut the core= setting could b. so if you could explain to me how to check it and change it like you were talkin to a 5 yr old, that would actually be really helpful 😀

Reply 5 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might try checking out D-Fend if you're not familiar with DOS. I've never used D-Fend, but I hear it's very good. Apparently it contains good sets of DOSBox configuration settings for individual games.

But to answer your question: open your dosbox.conf in Notepad and look for the core= line. If it says core=normal, try changing it to core=dynamic and then restarting DOSBox. If it says core=dynamic then try switching it to core=normal instead.

(Edit: Damn, there's an extra screw left over after putting my NES back together - oh well, at least it works much better now that I cleaned the cartridge connector)

Reply 6 of 17, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually D-fend just offers a GUI based configuration (with all the 0.63 commands in menus and checkpboxes) and stores your setups for each game. It even lets you set the default options to make addings games speedy with the wizard. I use it and recommend it for anyone who is too lazy (like myself) to resetup dosbox for each game every time.

Reply 7 of 17, by MoM God

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no dice, it didnt change at all. ill check out the d-fend in a sec, finishing a dowload.

have you ever noticed that sometimes things work better when something left over from the repairs?

MoM is Master of Magic if you havent already figured it out avatar, also which d-fend would you recommend (assuming you have one fore master of magic)

Reply 9 of 17, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just tried the HOTU version (floppy) and it worked fine with 12000 cycles, dynamic CPU and ykhwong's CVS build. 😕 I'm not quite sure if your issue is with the CD or what...

Reply 10 of 17, by MoM God

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thank you a bunch, ive seen a site previously that has master of magic as a download to the computer. im going to download it and hope that its from a floppy 😀

as for the cvs, i still gotta find it, could u possibly point me in the right direction?

(as for sierra games, i think i like empire earth (older than dos programs, for windows) the best out of what i have)

Reply 13 of 17, by MoM God

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

nothing, didnt help. but thank you for trying. im going to bed now (its 1:50 am) but ill be back on at around 7:00am eastern time. if you have any tips or tricks that might work please leave them here, ill get back on soon enough. thank you

Reply 14 of 17, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What resolution is it set to, curious? I've had errors like that with other games when they switch modes so I wondered. Try setting the resolution to "640x480" in the dosbox.conf and then setting fullfixed and aspect correction on. See if it helps.

Reply 15 of 17, by MoM God

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Qbix sent me this in response to a pm i sent him

mpsmagic._cd => change to mpsmagic_cd
futher try mount c c:\ and navigating to the right directory
make sure that the files or directories aren't write protected.

I only used the floppy version of the game.

Reply 16 of 17, by MoM God

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i just got a wierd error messag

the instruction at "0x6ac89190" referenced memory at "0x051281f0". the memory could not be "read"

im gunna try adjusting my memory settings...nope, not the problem.

there is something interesting, my mps and magic folders have read-only checked, but not fully, it looks kinda shadowed over. ive disabled it but everytime i check its properties it comes back saying read-only is active, with the shadowed over checkmark.C drive doesnt have anything on it to make the folders do that, already checked that out. any ideas what my POS computer is doing?? (or, more likely, what im doing wrong with my POS computer)

Reply 17 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm do you have rights to all the files ? (incase of an adminstrator/user setup)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!