VOGONS

Gabriel Knight Sins of the Father

Topic actions

First post, by ehmjay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay I know, this has be posted numerous times, however I had a hard time finding someone who had a similar problem to me.

I followed Steve Metzler instructions from the GK1 and XP page and everything went nice and smoothly, however the audio (music and dialogue) is skipping starting from the very moment i boot the game. I take it that this is because cycles are set to high (he mentioned that in his tutorial). However Im not sure how many to use.

My specs are
Win XP SP2
P3 at 730mhz
80gb HD (not that it matters)
Soundblaster Live!
128 mb ram.
GeForce FX 5200
Direct X 9.0

if anyone know the way around the skipping thing I'd be forever grateful.

Also, in a slightly offtopic, however still related question...
I downloaded the windows patch from http://www.gabrielknight2k.tk/ and it installed nicely, however when i try to play it i get the error message:

"Your current display driver is not supported by this game. We require a driver that can display 256 colours or more. You can install a new one by selecting the apropriate options from windows setup."

Now i know I can display more than 256, im running at 32 bit colours. All the compatibility features are running (run in win 95 mode, run at 256 colours, disable windows enhancements or whatever it is.) in windows xp so why wont this darn thing not work.

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. Merci. Thanks.

:: ehmjay.

Reply 5 of 31, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Booting into real ms-dos will probably do the trick.

Another option is to try VDMSound + NTVDM combination, but I haven't tested it.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GK1 never worked for me with NTVDM. For that machine either Microsoft Virtual PC or dual-boot with DOS will have to do.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 31, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay

1) You are confusing the hell out of everyone, are you attempting to play the windows version or the dos one? There are two different version included. Dosbox can only play the dos one.

2) Is this the CD version? If so then click the link in my sig to copy the correct files to your HD and play without the CD since it helps alot with skipping audio.

3) What cycles are you playing at? For the disk version mine runs fine with 12000 cycles, but for the CD you might want to add more until the audio stops skipping...and seeing as you don't have a modern CPU you are going to have a hard time getting cycles that high....

I'd like to help you get the windows version running...however I never play my sierra games in windows so I'm not familiar with fixing their problems. I would recommend trying VDMsound on the dos version in windows and see if it runs that way.

Reply 8 of 31, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Manually set your display to 256 colors and then play the game that was installed with Hendroz's installer.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 31, by ehmjay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

okay i have the cd version which includes both the windows and dos (am i correct?)

either way i was using dos box to try and play the dos version...

however i also tried the windows version with the new installer and had no success...perhaps changing colours manually will help.

Reply 10 of 31, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Compatibility mode does not always work to change your display. After I had to replace my monitor, compatibility mode will no longer drop my resolution down to 640x480. I have heard of others that compatibility mode will not drop their color depth down to 256 colors.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 11 of 31, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

Compatibility mode does not always work to change your display. After I had to replace my monitor, compatibility mode will no longer drop my resolution down to 640x480. I have heard of others that compatibility mode will not drop their color depth down to 256 colors.

That happened to me with Myst. I eventually bought the Masterpiece version so it didn't matter. I'm not sure why the heck this is...

Reply 12 of 31, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wish that Hendroz would release his patches for the DOS version, too. DOSBox or VPC and the like will be the only way to play it on 64 bit Windows.

Reply 13 of 31, by ehmjay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

just a quick question...
i have the CD Version (with speech) so does that mean it includes both the dos and windows versions?

both the install and the setup files are on the cd which i take it means yes.

Reply 15 of 31, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

I wish that Hendroz would release his patches for the DOS version, too. DOSBox or VPC and the like will be the only way to play it on 64 bit Windows.

Didn't Sierra ever release a 32bit SCI interpreter? If they did, perhaps this could be used against GK1 data - with the GK2K patches - for a solution? Compatability between the versions of interpreters from Sierra never seemed part of the design spec mind you 😀

Reply 16 of 31, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are nearly no two SCI games that the interpreter is interchangable. The only ones that I have heard of was, I believe, one of the Space Quests and its demo.

Reply 17 of 31, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

There are nearly no two SCI games that the interpreter is interchangable. The only ones that I have heard of was, I believe, one of the Space Quests and its demo.

It is possible with AGI games...but for SCI it is more than just an intepreter. Each game has its own custom version. There are a few games which are dead similar but I doubt it would work.