VOGONS

Gabriel Knight Sins of the Father

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, that would be great but since most Sierra games crash in their natural enviornment that would not be easy. The truth is Sierra made good games but had horrible programmers. Even their patches had glitches.

Reply 21 of 31, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never gonna happen. Too many differences, not enough reward for the required effort. Even FreeSCI was reengineered into the Glutton branch (I assume they found they needed to when they started to support some of the later SCI games?!) but those projects are dead now with little update in 2 years.

Perhaps the forthcoming compilations [Oct 05 according to Amazon.com] will have new interpreters built for XP but I seriously doubt it! We'll see when/if these are released.

Reply 22 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually that depends on whether most of the bugs were in the engine or in the game-specific scripts. For the former, an open-source Sierra interpreter project would be able to implement the buggy features in a non-buggy way. For game script bugs, people can (and have) make unofficial patches. The interpreter could potentially also implement workarounds for known script bugs.

It would certainly be a challenge though.

Reply 23 of 31, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

Actually that depends on whether most of the bugs were in the engine or in the game-specific scripts. For the former, an open-source Sierra interpreter project would be able to implement the buggy features in a non-buggy way. For game script bugs, people can (and have) make unofficial patches. The interpreter could potentially also implement workarounds for known script bugs.

It would certainly be a challenge though.

If ever such a project goes through (a universal sierra game emulator) I would be front row center to beta test every CVS build 😁 I'm very happy with Dosbox and the way it plays sierra games, but having a stress free "Where is the game located" type setup would be bliss.

I guess there aren't as many sierra fanatics as there are lucasarts ones. Well...if I were a programmer (which I'm not) I would definately find it worthwhile.

Reply 24 of 31, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am a programmer but after spending a little time with the FreeSCI code I'm keen to distance myself from such a project 😉 I just couldn't submit that amount of time and effort to such a project although I'd also be very keen to use the outcome 😀 When SCUMMVM popped the ultra [unfunny] April Fools a couple of years back I did take a look at the code for both projects. It would be very neat to strip FreeSCI back and plug in the SCI bits into SCUMMVM modules. Things are never that simple though are they 😀

Reply 25 of 31, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well they do support Gobliiins now, so anything is possible. However if anyone tries to make SCI work it should be as close to originals as possible....and me being a little bit of purist.....I would end up still using dosbox. 😅

Hell, if Sam'n Max would work for me in Dosbox I wouldn't need scummvm...

Reply 27 of 31, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me? It says something about not detecting the sound card...I did try and update (it was suggested in an earlier thread) but it dosen't help.

(may be because I don't own the original version..)

Reply 28 of 31, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

sam and max doesn't work in dosbox ?
Weird. Don't have the game anymore, but most scumm games work fine.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 29 of 31, by ehmjay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i agree - a scummVM only for Sierra games would make me the happiest person on earth. Maybe one will be included in the "apparently" upcoming re-releases of some of the classic sierra games. I say apparaently because so far the date has been changed 4 times.

:: ehmjay.