VOGONS

First post, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The GOG version has the Sierra exes and runs, but I can't seem to figure out how to get it running in DOSBox with the speech. It's obviously because the CD isn't technically there, but I know the speech files must be in the directory because I can get it running with SCUMMVM and speech. I want to use DOSBox because it makes it a lot easier to dial in the video mode on my setup.

Reply 1 of 8, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you trying to use both speech + text? You cannot do this normally, it's only speech or only text. There is a patch for SCUMM to have both enabled and maybe this is why you have speech when using it, assuming my initial assumption was correct.

Reply 2 of 8, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote on 2024-01-01, 10:11:

Are you trying to use both speech + text? You cannot do this normally, it's only speech or only text. There is a patch for SCUMM to have both enabled and maybe this is why you have speech when using it, assuming my initial assumption was correct.

Sorry, no I am just trying to use speech alone. When I select speech in DOSBox, there is no speech. Also, it complains when I start the game that couldn't open an audio device, but I get the music fine (MT32).

Because of this, I was thinking maybe the reason I don't have speech in DOSBox is because the speech requires the CDROM disc to be in the drive. So to test this I mounted a folder as the CDROM. This made the warning about the audio device go away, but it did not result in speech.

Reply 3 of 8, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
7F20 wrote on 2024-01-01, 16:47:
konc wrote on 2024-01-01, 10:11:

Sorry, no I am just trying to use speech alone. When I select speech in DOSBox, there is no speech. Also, it complains when I start the game that couldn't open an audio device, but I get the music fine (MT32).

Because of this, I was thinking maybe the reason I don't have speech in DOSBox is because the speech requires the CDROM disc to be in the drive. So to test this I mounted a folder as the CDROM. This made the warning about the audio device go away, but it did not result in speech.

Here are screenshots of my directories and my resource.cfg file:

20240101_085418.jpg
Filename
20240101_085418.jpg
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File comment
Root DIR
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20240101_092550.jpg
Filename
20240101_092550.jpg
File size
1.89 MiB
Views
File comment
Resource.CFG
File license

The big files are the speech, its important to point your resource.cfg file where they are located, make sure you format it the same way I have in my resource fille.

The patchDir might be wrong, its hard to tell since I'm not sure where to check the replaced sfx, but I think it should actually be "Patchdir=.\;.\audiosfx"

Also make sure your in game config is set to "Speech" as below:

20240101_090802.jpg
Filename
20240101_090802.jpg
File size
928.06 KiB
Views
File comment
In-game Settings
File license

Reply 4 of 8, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-01-01, 17:32:

The big files are the speech, its important to point your resource.cfg file where they are located, make sure you format it the same way I have in my resource fille.

The patchDir might be wrong, its hard to tell since I'm not sure where to check the replaced sfx, but I think it should actually be "Patchdir=.\;.\audiosfx"

Also make sure your in game config is set to "Speech" as below:

Thanks for the screenshots. I guess I'm just not sure where to point the resource.cfg in my setup?

I have my game at c:\games\lb2, but I'm mounting c:\games as drive C: in DOSBox.

My resource files and everything are in the lb2 folder, and I have the audiosfx subfolder just like you do. I have the game set to Speech and it's not talking. Using Text works as expected. I tried mounting the Audiosfx folder as a CDROM drive and pointing the resource.cfg to that directory, but that doesn't seem to be the answer.

Attachments

• lb22.PNG
    Filename
    lb22.PNG
    File size
    68.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • lb2np.PNG
    Filename
    lb2np.PNG
    File size
    47.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • lb2.PNG
    Filename
    lb2.PNG
    File size
    72.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 8, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-01-01, 18:21:

See what happens if you set the audio to audio=.\ or audio=.\lb2

try it both ways

success! this worked:

audio=.\

by the way, what is the program you are using for your directory? I tried to find something like midnight commander for DOS, but I couldn't figure anything out. Is that available anywhere?

Thanks again!

Reply 7 of 8, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
7F20 wrote on 2024-01-01, 18:32:
success! this worked: […]
Show full quote

try it both ways

success! this worked:

audio=.\

by the way, what is the program you are using for your directory? I tried to find something like midnight commander for DOS, but I couldn't figure anything out. Is that available anywhere?

Thanks again!

It's an old DOS program called ZDir. Here is a link: https://tipovers.com/zdir/

I usually rename it to just z.com so i just type z to get a directory. Make sure to put it in a directory in your system path so it will work everywhere.

Reply 8 of 8, by 7F20

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-01-01, 18:39:
7F20 wrote on 2024-01-01, 18:32:
success! this worked: […]
Show full quote

try it both ways

success! this worked:

audio=.\

Thanks again!

It's an old DOS program called ZDir. Here is a link: https://tipovers.com/zdir/

I usually rename it to just z.com so i just type z to get a directory. Make sure to put it in a directory in your system path so it will work everywhere.

Oh yeah! I totally forgot about that program 🤣. I think I probably have a version of it on an old floppy somewhere too!

Thanks again!