VOGONS

First post, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A while ago I discovered an unofficial conversion of M.U.L.E.: mule386.zip

I'm using the DOSBox SVN version I got from here (but the problem is the same in other builds as well), and certain screens are not rendered properly: only the bottom part where the running line of text is located is drawn, but the rest of the screen is black.

Another problem is that I am actually unable to start the game. I set up the players (the screens say to press Return to select, but it's actually the space bar that must be pressed), but on the player review screen, neither Return or the space bar work, so I can only press F1 to access the menu and quit the game.

I also tried running this in 86box with FreeDOS, where I do not have the screen drawing errors, but the problem with the actual scenario not starting persists.

For the screen problem in DOSBox, I've tried using loadfix -24 and setting machine to vgaonly, but neither had any effect.

Last edited by MrFlibble on 2024-03-04, 13:07. Edited 1 time in total.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 1 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Try with machine=svga_et4000

On the player review screen press left/right to select a character, then up and left/right to select a color, after which pressing Return should proceed.

Reply 2 of 7, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

According to the .diz file in the same folder it's a free pre-release, not even the shareware version. So many things can be broken and well, they are. The graphical issues are present even on real hardware.

ripsaw8080 is of course right about the unintuitive interface but it does seem very, very poor quality software. I bet it was some kids effort so I'm not judging, only making the observation.

Reply 3 of 7, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2024-02-21, 17:25:

Try with machine=svga_et4000

Thanks! That seems to have done the trick.

ripsaw8080 wrote on 2024-02-21, 17:25:

On the player review screen press left/right to select a character, then up and left/right to select a color, after which pressing Return should proceed.

Yes, I had figured out that much on my own. I'm stuck on this screen:
KucFUK7.png
It says press all player buttons, but only player 1 is human, and pressing either Return or space bar does not do anything (nor does any other key for that matter). I can press F1 and access the menu/setup screen, from which I can exit the game, but not progress further.

Reply 4 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

On the main menu, the "configure hardware" option has 4 keyboard icons -- presumably keys for each player, and the "button" key for player 1 is "S" by default, so press that. 😉

BTW, the game is using a register-tweaked variant of video mode 13h, which seems to be why it's not compatible with the default machine type.

Reply 6 of 7, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Huge fan of this game on the Commodore 64. 4 human players, 2 on joystick, 2 on keyboard in tournament mode.

I just tried this game in DOSBOX in expert mode. Graphics are a huge improvement but gameplay, at least in single player mode is lacking. One thing I noticed right away is during auctions the highest price you can sell for is 40% above the base price when the store runs out - on the C64 version you can drive the price up. The computer AI isn't as good as the C64 version. One of the computer players would not select a any land after 4 rounds. I played for 6 rounds before the game abruptly exited without any error message. I had saved the game on the 5th round but when I re-loaded the game the resume game function did nothing. This game is definitely unfinished and unplayable in its current state.

Reply 7 of 7, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Norton Commander wrote on 2024-02-23, 18:52:

Huge fan of this game on the Commodore 64. 4 human players, 2 on joystick, 2 on keyboard in tournament mode.

I just tried this game in DOSBOX in expert mode.

Thank you for such detailed feedback!