VOGONS

Munt Reloaded - Development

Topic actions

Reply 721 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oops, sorry, no need. The cracklings are now perfectly reproduced in Generation1 mode (after I rerouted the LA32 and reverb output and added proper emulation of the bit shifting). So, this case appears to be another reason for changing the bit shifting point in the Generation2 from DAC to LA32 pins.

Reply 724 of 965, by Mok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sergm wrote:

Then MT32.DRV is a weird name for the driver. 😀

Yeah, but he didn't write the tracker nor the driver himself 😀 TBH I don't think anyone cared much about sending instrument names to the synth... I vaguely remember some games sent random trash instead of names.

Fix pushed.

Thanks! This fixed minor crackling in some other songs too 😀

Reply 725 of 965, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For those who missed it, it's that time of the year:

Munt 1.5.0

[Edit] Fixed link.

Last edited by Anonymous on 2015-01-19, 22:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 726 of 965, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone tested it? how the output sounds compared to older versions?

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 729 of 965, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sergm wrote:

Nothing actually changed, just increased the version numbers as they are quite cheap 😀

It seems that Mozilla has discovered this, too.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 730 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found some really don't want to know anything else just that there is a new version available... Perhaps, Mozilla guys get some benefits from each release, who knows 😉

Well, I can actually upload the NEWS files along at SF, if it comes to be more convenient.

Reply 731 of 965, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My view is that any project that makes a release does so with the best intention to improve upon what came before. As such I don't need to know about these refinements; just point me to the download 😀 However, it's nice to know that larger issues/features have been supported just to push the excitement level!

Thanks for the updated release!

Reply 732 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, if someone put an effort and support the wiki or at least the web-page, this problem wouldn't appear.

I think appending the list of notable changes right to the release README should suffice for now.

Reply 734 of 965, by hurleybird

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tried using MUNT for the first time recently on Windows 10 tech preview, and everything just sounds wrong. Tested with a variety of ROMs and settings but I can't get anything to sound remotely close to what I hear in various youtube videos. Notes that should be sustained last for a fraction of second, none of the channels seem to be using the right instruments (or they just aren't present), and in general things just sound terrible. Is there known incompatibility with Windows 10, or am I doing something wrong?

Reply 735 of 965, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@hurleybird: What game are you testing with? Have you configured the game to use MT-32/LAPC-I and not General MIDI (GM) / Sound Canvas (GS)? Are you sure you configured DOSBox and/or Windows to use Munt and not the standard Windows General MIDI synthesizer (which is the default device even when Munt is installed).

Reply 736 of 965, by hurleybird

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Haven't tried going through DOSBOX yet. I've just used the "play MIDI file" option from the MUNT GUI. I've also played some tracks through media player after setting it's default MIDI synth to MUNT using CoolSoft VirtualMIDI. I'll try going through DOSBOX.

Edit: Going through DOSBOX now Wing Commander 2 sounds awesome, but Descent sounds like garbage. I guess I didn't realize how dependant on proper game support the MT-32 was, my bad.

Reply 737 of 965, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, there are 3 categories of games:
- Games that have native MT-32/LAPC-I/CM-32 support. These tend to sound awesome.
- Games that are natively General MIDI / Sound Canvas but include MT-32/LAPC-I/CM-32 drivers. These tend to sound mediocre because they just program the synth to sound as close to GM as it can (which it was never intended to do).
- Games that are natively General MIDI / Sound Canvas and have no MT-32/LAPC-I/CM-32 support at all. These will always sound pretty awful.

There's a community-produced list of MT-32 compatible computer games on Wikipedia. I've been wanting to convert it to a table format for years, but haven't gotten around to it.

Reply 738 of 965, by avx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hurleybird wrote:

Haven't tried going through DOSBOX yet. I've just used the "play MIDI file" option from the MUNT GUI. I've also played some tracks through media player after setting it's default MIDI synth to MUNT using CoolSoft VirtualMIDI. I'll try going through DOSBOX.

Edit: Going through DOSBOX now Wing Commander 2 sounds awesome, but Descent sounds like garbage. I guess I didn't realize how dependant on proper game support the MT-32 was, my bad.

You maybe figured this out but anyway:

MT-32 precedes MIDI but you can play a game (with game set to use mt32 as output) in dosbox then use dosbox feature that "records" a .mid file that you can then play using MUNT. This mid file then contains mt32 specific stuff. To record normal midi file set the game use General MIDI.

There's also a ton of "virtual midi cables" but unless things have changed, only one of the actually works.. others I tried few years back fail mysteriously at times. The one I use is MidiYokeSetup.msi and it needs to be started as administrator (atleast it used to be, maybe it pops up the UAC in latest version).