VOGONS

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

when i try to open up the program the command prompt apears and it gets stuck on scanning for audio devices and just stays there.
im on windows 8 64-bit.

Last edited by Nic-93 on 2014-10-11, 20:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 32, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MSFT must've made some major changes under the hood for Win8, because Munt works just peachy in Windows7 64bit.

Have you updated to Windows 8.1? Maybe they restored whatever functionality was broken in 8. I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but it's worth a shot...

Worst case, snag a copy of VMWare or Oracle Virtualbox, and try running a previous version of windows in a virtual machine that still lets Munt work it's magic.

*EDIT*

Or you could try dual-booting with a linux distro. I *think* dosbox and munt work under linux, but don't quote me on it.

Here's an article on getting dosbox and munt running under linux. Just grab Virtualbox (it's free), and a linux distro of your choice, get the distro installed as a VM in Vbox, and then follow the instructions in the article. Could work, and would eliminate any dual boot scenarios.

Last edited by ElectricMonk on 2014-10-02, 17:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I object 😊

Been using Munt on two Windows 8.1 64 bit machines. A notebook with Pentium dual core and an AMD with 6 core FX. I used the notebook to do my latest Munt vs. real Roland comparison videos:

Munt Emulator vs real Roland MT-32 Space Quest 3: http://youtu.be/iMpDAChzu_Y

Munt Emulator vs real Roland MT-32 The Secret of Monkey Island: http://youtu.be/QN6V340b7ys

Last edited by PhilsComputerLab on 2014-10-02, 17:56. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 32, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

I object 😊

Been using Munt on two Windows 8.1 64 bit machines. A notebook with Pentium dual core and an AMD with 6 core FX. I used the notebook to do my latest Munt vs. real Roland comparison videos:

thats odd, my version is that to, but it wont run..

Reply 7 of 32, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

I object 😊

Must be the latest one, just downloaded it a few days ago. 1.4.0

Who knows what else is on that machine. Everything could cause a conflict. My machines are fairly clean but I don't want to tell you to "just re-install Windows" because we all know what a pain that is.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 32, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:
Nic-93 wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

I object 😊

i downloaded the latest to see what changes had been to it.

Reply 9 of 32, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

I object 😊

dSEcCRM.jpg

Sorry, it just seemed fitting. 😁

It's great you got it working. Hopefully you can help subby out.

Last edited by ElectricMonk on 2014-10-02, 18:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 32, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectricMonk wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:
I object :blush: […]
Show full quote

I object 😊

dSEcCRM.jpg

Sorry, it just seemed fitting. 😁

It's great you got it working. Hopefully you can help subby out.

the last time i checked were 1.3, i treid to check again and now its 1.4, but now i get a diffrent error that it cant write to the qtcore4.

Reply 11 of 32, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:
Nic-93 wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

I object 😊

Who knows what else is on that machine. Everything could cause a conflict. My machines are fairly clean but I don't want to tell you to "just re-install Windows" because we all know what a pain that is.

i got somekind of qtcore error when it installed.

Reply 13 of 32, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectricMonk wrote:
Nic-93 wrote:

i got somekind of qtcore error when it installed.

You could always open a support ticket HERE.

hmm, i found the error, i thougt i had closed and uninstalled it to try 1.4 but its stil stuck thou in when scanning for audio devices.

Reply 15 of 32, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's really weird to hear "install it in VM" regarding an open source proggy with still living authors 😒
Well, anyway the issue sounds like a horrible shit happens with multimedia support either in Qt or portaudio on your system. Can happily be a "nice" audio driver but to get it really sorted out we need to exactly "debug" it on your system. I tried munt on 64-bit Win8.1 also but nothing similar ever happened. I'd recommend to recompile switching off various audio drivers and see if it helps.
Btw, if the debug window shows "Scanning for audio devices", this doesn't actually mean it is halted during that stage 😉

Reply 16 of 32, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sergm wrote:

That's really weird to hear "install it in VM" regarding an open source proggy with still living authors 😒
Well, anyway the issue sounds like a horrible shit happens with multimedia support either in Qt or portaudio on your system. Can happily be a "nice" audio driver but to get it really sorted out we need to exactly "debug" it on your system. I tried munt on 64-bit Win8.1 also but nothing similar ever happened. I'd recommend to recompile switching off various audio drivers and see if it helps.
Btw, if the debug window shows "Scanning for audio devices", this doesn't actually mean it is halted during that stage 😉

well, it just doesnt sem to move from there, and how do i turn off audio drivers?
between, even after i waited a minute, the qui stil didnt show up.
Turning off audio drivers didnt help,

Reply 17 of 32, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nic-93 wrote:

<skip> and how do i turn off audio drivers?<skip>

You basically have audio support in mt32emu-qt app through three ways:
- native (though way old) Windows Multimedia Extensions (MME)
- PortAudio library (most suspicious to cause halt on your system)
- Qt multimedia library (very limited functionality, so I don't think this is the cause)

To get rid of the PortAudio support, you recompile the app, and while doing so you turn off munt_WITH_INTERNAL_PORTAUDIO option in the cmake configuration dialog. Obviously, external copy of PortAudio shouldn't be present or cmake may find it and use.

Nic-93 wrote:

What do you mean by this if you're asking how to do it? 😕

Reply 18 of 32, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sergm wrote:
You basically have audio support in mt32emu-qt app through three ways: - native (though way old) Windows Multimedia Extensions ( […]
Show full quote
Nic-93 wrote:

<skip> and how do i turn off audio drivers?<skip>

You basically have audio support in mt32emu-qt app through three ways:
- native (though way old) Windows Multimedia Extensions (MME)
- PortAudio library (most suspicious to cause halt on your system)
- Qt multimedia library (very limited functionality, so I don't think this is the cause)

To get rid of the PortAudio support, you recompile the app, and while doing so you turn off munt_WITH_INTERNAL_PORTAUDIO option in the cmake configuration dialog. Obviously, external copy of PortAudio shouldn't be present or cmake may find it and use.

Nic-93 wrote:

What do you mean by this if you're asking how to do it? 😕

erm, sorry im confuseing, recompile?