Common searches

DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 700 of 2397, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do wish we had a more identical render path for OpenGL as Direct3d. I know most of the advancements there are unsupported patches, but it's frustrating to not be able to provide similar cross platform compatibility with DOSBox configs between the two.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 702 of 2397, by arromdee3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Forced does fix my problem, and it also does work in combination with output=opengl, so it's actually as fixed as I could expect now (as long as I patch out that +80 EF2000 code). Thanks.

(Forced plus fullscreen plus a scaling method that is too big for the screen will result in a segfault, however.)

Reply 703 of 2397, by truth_deleted

User metadata

That's good news. We also documented the problem where Ykhwong's build works as expected, so someone could construct a diff file between the two builds, perhaps using an older version of dosbox-x, and look for code related to SDL video and the like. The relevant commits shouldn't be too many to isolate the cause.

Reply 704 of 2397, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Attached difference file to document the above issue with scaling. It shows that the opengl output mode is unavailable, so that is a probable reason why full screen scaling is unavailable. If the opengl mode code was introduced, then it should be possible to scale full screen. As it is, the output mode is necessarily reverting to surface. Although surface should also scale to full screen, I've confirmed that opengl mode is expected to work where surface is not (in a private dosbox build; this does not refer to vanilla dosbox).

Also, confirmed that dosbox-x uses a new text mode which stretches the horizontal width of the screen beyond the default width (640). So, where using the scalers such as normal2x, the window will stretch beyond 1280 pixels in width. If the default dosbox text mode was used, then the 2x scaling should fit within the screen space of a 1280H monitor and not generate an error while switching to full screen with a scaler active.

I would first add the opengl mode and test full screen scaling, if there is any issue, then revert back to the default text mode of dosbox. 😀 Otherwise, the window scaling (non-fullscreen) works with the "forced" parameter, so this is a simple workaround.

Edit: removed attached diff file and replaced it with a patch attached to the next post in this thread.

Last edited by truth_deleted on 2014-09-20, 09:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 705 of 2397, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Patch is attached to reactivate opengl mode along with window and full screen scaling. Requires testing in other systems since I only tested it in a build by mingw/gcc.

The patch may contain parts which do not apply cleanly to the latest dosbox-x, so these parts would be applied manually.

Attachments

• Filename
    scaling_gl.diff
    File size
    16.9 KiB
    Downloads
    92 downloads
    File comment
    Patch to reactivate opengl mode
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 706 of 2397, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using this branch I was successful in installing Win 3.x to an image, booting the image, and accessing the mounted cd image. However I have not been able to do this with Win95.

In Win 3.x, apart from adding the ide sections to the conf file and mounting the image, I also had to define the driver file in the config.sys file and then call mscdex to detect the drive.

Since Win95 does not use an autoexec.bat and config.sys, I can't really use that step... yet Win95 doesn't seem to detect it on it's own.

Considering the number of resources I have found online that suggest this should be as easy as using the X Branch and properly setting up the conf file, I am having difficulty figuring out what I have missed her.

Would someone mind assisting me? Thanks.

Reply 707 of 2397, by SedrynTyros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
exofreeze wrote:

Since Win95 does not use an autoexec.bat and config.sys, I can't really use that step... yet Win95 doesn't seem to detect it on it's own.

Actually, Windows 95 uses both config.sys and autoexec.bat during boot time.

Reply 708 of 2397, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't tried Windows 9x in DOSBox-x but the way Windows 9x has always worked is you can load the CDROM driver in DOS and then load Windows and Windows will use that driver or you can switch Windows to use the Windows CDROM driver.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 709 of 2397, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wow.. I popped open the disk image and didn't see a config or autoexec, so I assumed it didn't use them.

DosFreak - the image boots directly in w95. I'm not sure how it is possible to boot to dos first and then start up win95. Maybe you mean by hitting f8 during boot and redirecting to the dos prompt?

I went and stuck a config.sys with one line in it that loads the my cdrom driver, and then I added an autoexec batch that called mscde, and that worked perfectly. Now it passes my mounted cd image right over to windows.

Whats odd, is I saw the same steps on multiple websites on how to use the x branch to do this, yet none of them mentioned adding these files. Thanks for the help.

Reply 710 of 2397, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 9x uses DOS as a loader so DOS will always load first you just won't see it. 😀
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2 … 24/6849530.aspx

You can also use the shift key but that can be confusing when using a VM and also the VM may load too fast.

This would be easier:
http://www.computerhope.com/msdossys.htm
BootGUI

I want to say that unless you had DOS previously installed then autoexec.bat and config.sys will not be there.

What's really annoying is that for the longest time Windows NT4+ would always create zero by config.sys and autoexec.bat files in C:\ even if you didn't have a dual-boot. grrrr

Note that even if config.sys does not exist Windows will load some drivers that would have been in there:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174018

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 711 of 2397, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's one way, but actually what you should do is run add new hardware wizard and install the IDE controler. That way, the CD-ROM drive will be connected natively and not through DOS MSCDEX calls.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 713 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't thank me yet, FDC emulation is still under development! 😀

Are you specifying more than one disk image with imgmount?

SA1988 wrote:

thanks for the partial FDC emulation! However, I cannot switch floppies by using the imgmount command with "boot -l a" specified.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 714 of 2397, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote:

Don't thank me yet, FDC emulation is still under development! 😀

Are you specifying more than one disk image with imgmount?

SA1988 wrote:

thanks for the partial FDC emulation! However, I cannot switch floppies by using the imgmount command with "boot -l a" specified.

yes, I mean that in boot mode.

Reply 717 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SA1988 wrote:

same thing happens.

I recall that DOSBox has never really supported the multiple disk swapping mode unless "boot" is used directly with multiple disk image files, or if multiple .iso images are given when mounting a CD.

You should be able to do multiple floppies with disk swapping if you do something like:

boot "disk1.img" "disk2.img" "disk3.img" "disk4.img"

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.