VOGONS

Common searches

Graphics performance boost

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 60 of 227, by GreatBarrier86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry about the relevance of the topic. my fault.

Why did you remove the VESA support kronuz?

IBM ThinkPad X40
1.2Ghz with 2MB L2 cache
1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM
Intel 852/855GME Graphics Media Accelerator with 64MB
12'' LCD Screen
SoundMax Integrated Audio

Peas Pobie!

Reply 64 of 227, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Reckless wrote:
GreatBarrier86 wrote:

Also, is there anyway to write dosbox to utilize ram? I mean more than the standard. I know CPU cycles are important and ram is very unimportant in comparison but i have 1 gb of ram and i wonder if it would be possible to optimize dosbox to use this?

This isn't a request, it's just a question. 😀

Hopefully a mod will move this off-topic post [and my reply] from this thread! Consider your question's relevance prior to posting it in an existing thread!

DOS systems didn't have much RAM and in are limited to the maximum that DOS extenders provided (64/128MB max depending on the extender used IIRC). I cannot see anything that you could place in RAM that would actually benefit the running games in DOSBox.

Actually there are some areas on where increasing RAM usage would improve DOSBox speed, video was one of them, and my patch is using some extra RAM to make the scalers run a little tiny bit faster 😉

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 66 of 227, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Kronuz, did you compile using Visual Studio 2005? He may need the msvcp80.dll and msvcr80.dll files. I haven't tried your build yet but those files are needed for projects built using VS2005.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 68 of 227, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Kronuz, did you compile using Visual Studio 2005? He may need the msvcp80.dll and msvcr80.dll files. I haven't tried your build yet but those files are needed for projects built using VS2005.

hmm... that must be it. For some reason I just assumed the CRT was statically linked on the DOSBox project (and I believe it should 😜)

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 71 of 227, by BrainStorm_wow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if you cause saw this, but I'll repeat it

Oh, sorry it dosn't ask for a dll. However I do get an error that says "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect". I still get the same error when I take the dosbox.conf out of the folder.

Reply 72 of 227, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I've re-compiled DOSBox, and this time it should be completely independent of weird DLLs.
This build doesn't have VESA support, and it also doesn't have tymesync, nor coreswitch patches. It's a clean cvs build with only my patch applied (Version 5).

Qbix: Attachment removed

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 73 of 227, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It works for me.

Nice!

Monkey Island 1
Frameskip=0
8500 cycles
ykhwong's=40% utilization
DosBox 0.63=30% utilization
yours=10% utilization
Scummvm=0% utilization

Duke Nukem 3D
Frameskip=0
320x200
ykhwong's@20,000 cycles=14fps (95% utilization)
DosBox 0.63@18,000 cycles=13fps (95% utilization)
Yours@30,000 cycles=23fps (95% utilization)

Nice! Almost a 2x increase for Duke Nukem 3D! The game is actually playable in 320x now!

Doom
Frameskip=0
ykhwong's@25,000 cycles=96-97% utilization
DosBox 0.63@24,000 cycles=95-97 utilization
Yours@41,000 cycles=95-97 utilization

Doom plays very smoothly now.

Quake
320x200
Frameskip-0
ykhwong's@22,000 cycles=95%
Yours@36,000 cycles =95%

You can now at least stomach the low fps in Quake 1. 😉

This will be highly usefull for older PC's. Too bad I don't have my ol' K63 around for testing.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 76 of 227, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder how it affects performance of higher resolutions. Dawn Patrol could really use some boost. Win3.x is quite likely to benefit from it. I did not try using this patch with my SVGA patch but seeing that most of the patch is local to scalers I don't think merging will be hard. Quake actually playable? I only used it to test ModeX modes, and even that was quite painful.
By all means, this is a great patch. Scalers were always hot in profile runs, and they needed optimization badly. Kudos to Kronuz for picking this task.
DosFreak: ScummVM CPU utilization is not comparable to DOSBox. ScummVM is essentially high-level emulation. It can properly do proper host OS idling when the game is idling. DOSBox still has to emulate guest idle.

Reply 78 of 227, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've optimized my patch just a tiny bit more. The patch is now using some sort of "prediction" to know if it’s likely or not some parts of the screen have changed. This improves speed in games like Kyrandia, DOTT, MI, etc...
Anyway the new patch is there for download as RC2, and the windows binary is attached here.

Qbix: Attachment removed

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 79 of 227, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vasyl wrote:

I wonder how it affects performance of higher resolutions. Dawn Patrol could really use some boost. Win3.x is quite likely to benefit from it. I did not try using this patch with my SVGA patch but seeing that most of the patch is local to scalers I don't think merging will be hard. Quake actually playable? I only used it to test ModeX modes, and even that was quite painful.

You should try higher resolutions, I suppose it will also improve the numbers 😉

If anyone tries higher resolutions, I'd be happy to know which version of my patch (Version 5 or 6) you find to be faster. Thanks.

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"