VOGONS

Common searches

Graphics performance boost

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 80 of 227, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I includee Scummvm more as a user comparison of host processor utilization. Some people may prefer playing the scummvm games that work in Scummvm by playing them in DosBox. This was to show the difference between DosBox/Scummvm as far as processor utilization.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2005-11-29, 03:01. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 81 of 227, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Kronuz: just figured something out...can you force a full redraw when RENDER_ReInit() is called? I'm browsing through your newest patch...is that what Scaler_RebuildCache is for? It would probably make more sense to move that to RENDER_ReInit() (which will be called at GFX_ResetScreen too)....that just might fix D3D problems (as well as perhaps some other problems)

Reply 82 of 227, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just noticed that processor utilization is lower with Overlay than Surface. Have also noticed some graphics problems with Overlay...but not with surface.

Reply 83 of 227, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

@Kronuz: just figured something out...can you force a full redraw when RENDER_ReInit() is called? I'm browsing through your newest patch...is that what Scaler_RebuildCache is for? It would probably make more sense to move that to RENDER_ReInit() (which will be called at GFX_ResetScreen too)....that just might fix D3D problems (as well as perhaps some other problems)

That's exactly what Scaler_RebuildCache is for (to force a full redraw) I'll move it there were you're saying to try that out too... though I don't have your direct3d patch... I tried applying the one I could find but it won't work with the current cvs version 🙁

I moved that part, but then you don't get the screen updated when you toggle fullscreen/windowed and neither when you change the keyboard mapping... (perhaps it's needed in both functions?) ...

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 84 of 227, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WOW. Okay, so I tried it with TES:Arena finally and I'm very impressed. Normally I max out my CPU at around 30000 cycles on dynamic core with output=overlay and normal2x scaler. I was able to average 50000 but also reached 120000 in some areas before maxing out my CPU! And it was smoooooth.

Reply 85 of 227, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, D3D needs an update and I'm somewhat behind 😜

hmm...seems to work for me. Both the mapper and fullscreen toggle call GFX_ResetScreen which calls sdl.draw.reset() which is set exactly to RENDER_ReInit().

I just thought of another thing. You could make a variable, something like needs_updating or whatever. Set it to false when whole screen is in cache or true if not. This could be used in GFX_EndUpdate() to decide whether to update the screen or not. Like the smartupdate patch 😀. This would help with opengl (slow texture uploads, which are not necessary in this case) and openglhq and d3d hardware scalers since those could be skipped. Most games rarely do more then 20-30 updates / s...

edit: Another thing I've noticed while testing. In TombRider when using output=surface and scaler=hq2x and the game starts in high resolution (=hq2x not used), the first time I switch to low-res (F1) the picture will be blurred. Not like hq2x at all 😀. If I go back to high-res and again switch to low-res, it will be fine. Yes, the cache is rebuilt but it seems hq2x is not properly initialized sometimes...

edit2: or even better. If possible record a rectangle that has changed from previous frame (if it can be computed easily). This can be used for partial texture updates by opengl and d3d.

Reply 86 of 227, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I worked with gulikoza to make some extra improvements to the patch and we implemented something that makes the patch update only the frames that really changed (this should make DOSBox even faster)
This patch now should improve the speed a lot in some games, please try it and tell me what you think of the new stuff.

I've attached the Windows binary in this message, and the patch is on the first message of this thread, and at sourceforge, as always.

Qbix: Attachment removed

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 87 of 227, by GreatBarrier86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Am i missing something or does anyone else have a problem generating a conf file. The file is created but there is nothing inside of it.

IBM ThinkPad X40
1.2Ghz with 2MB L2 cache
1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM
Intel 852/855GME Graphics Media Accelerator with 64MB
12'' LCD Screen
SoundMax Integrated Audio

Peas Pobie!

Reply 88 of 227, by GreatBarrier86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do like this. I am running hq2x on ST JR and it runs beautifully at 25000 cycles. I am running a 1.2Ghz Pentium M. Before, it took at least 50000 cycles to get barely playable frames.

IBM ThinkPad X40
1.2Ghz with 2MB L2 cache
1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM
12'' LCD Screen

Peas Pobie!

Reply 91 of 227, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GreatBarrier86 wrote:

yes. it is only in this build.
the command i am using is
config -writeconf dosbox.conf

Okay, the problem seems to be with the UPX compressor messing up the exe... here's the uncompresed version this one works fine.

Qbix: Attachment removed

Last edited by Kronuz on 2005-11-30, 00:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 93 of 227, by GreatBarrier86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am clicking on the dosbox exe directly. I tried other names aside from doxbox.conf...it produces an empty 0k sized file

IBM ThinkPad X40
1.2Ghz with 2MB L2 cache
1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM
12'' LCD Screen

Peas Pobie!

Reply 95 of 227, by GreatBarrier86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

woah...that's the biggest dosbox exe i've ever seen. 🤣

Is there an advantage to keeping it decompressed?

IBM ThinkPad X40
1.2Ghz with 2MB L2 cache
1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM
12'' LCD Screen

Peas Pobie!

Reply 96 of 227, by GreatBarrier86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very nice..it worked. I also noticed that this version does not crash when i put in that command

IBM ThinkPad X40
1.2Ghz with 2MB L2 cache
1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM
12'' LCD Screen

Peas Pobie!

Reply 97 of 227, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only advantage to keeping an .exe decompressed is it may eat up less system memory. Simply compare the amount of memory used by the DosBox process in Taskmanager between a UPX compressed executable and the same executable that is not compressed.

Compressing executables with UPX is very handy when your in a situation where you need the most space possible....but as you can see sometimes it isn't compatible with the .exe's that it compresses.

Reply 98 of 227, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 11/29 build finally makes opengl and openglnb useable on my ATI X800. CPU utilization at the CLI is around 20% as opposed to 99% on 11/28 and all other DosBox builds. Nice. Now I can finally use HDR! 😀

Reply 99 of 227, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Works a blast with many games, but some silently crash the emu at runtime right after launching the DOS expander: Death Gate, Shannara, Mission Critical. Those are VESA games. Could it be relevant?

Happens with Kronuz and Ykhwong's builds -- regardless of the renderer used.