Common searches

Glide patch

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 246, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

Did you try setting SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib?

It didn't change anything. And I'm using XP SP2, I wanted to borrow Vista and install it as a trial for a week or two to make some tests, but I see no reason for this now - if Glide patch doesn't work correctly on XP for me it won't work on Vista probably.

I have read at tombraiderforums that DosBox in glide mode doesn't support fullscreen but it was written more than a year ago.
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.ph … t=76616&page=18
How is the situation now?

I'm going to make more tests with ykhwong's build, maybe it will work better for me.

Reply 42 of 246, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE:
I installed new Catalyst 8.1 yesterday and now your CVS version works with TR1 in glide mode (OpenGlide) 😀 I had to use your modified glide2x.dll because OpenGL GL_EXT_abgr error still exists. Fullscreen works as well.
But still some items are visible through walls and there is no Lara's shadow. You wrote in changelog that shadow has been fixed, so why I can't see it?

Reply 44 of 246, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zebius wrote:

But still some items are visible through walls

I'm afraid little is there to be done about it

Zebius wrote:

and there is no Lara's shadow. You wrote in changelog that shadow has been fixed, so why I can't see it?

As far as this goes, I sent you a PM

Reply 45 of 246, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Allright, after some PM exchanges with Zebius I finally uploaded a dosbox.exe version I had compiled with mingw/msys so he could try it out.
Now he has notified me that it works, even with ATI Catalyst drivers 😎

I'll add that, as he also specifies, he's been using modified glide2x.dll by gulikoza for better compatibility with Catalyst things.

At this time, it occurred to me I might as well publish the link to rapidshare download of that exe, so if there's someone who's dying to (or else would rather die than) try it, he can pick it up (download needless to say is free) and report.
Nvidia drivers ought to be fine in my experience anyway.
Zebius has tested it with an ATI card.

Btw, there's nothing special with this exe, nothing that wasn't already described in the earlier thread on TR shadow issue here in dosbox development. Only, instead of a .cpp or a .diff file there you have the exe.

Those willing to use it must have a full Dosbox 0.72 installation, plus glide patch & Direct3D update by gulikoza.
You just overwrite your dosbox.exe with this exe, backing it up before if it makes you feel better, but take note that a check coded in it by gulikoza himself makes sure nothing bad will happen with it if e.g. you're using it to play a different game than TR. No palette monkey business is expected to show up 😊

Here's the link :
http://rapidshare.de/files/38369198/dosbox.zip.html

Reply 46 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So you've just compiled with the latest version of patch posted here or are there other modifications required? This reminds my build is terribly outdated, I should probably update it 😀

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 47 of 246, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

So you've just compiled with the latest version of patch posted here or are there other modifications required?

No, I just compiled it with msys using your source from DOSBox-0.72.zip (21.09.2007) except the 20.09.2007 glide.cpp in there is substituted by the modified glide.cpp you well know, dating from 05.11.2007, which I will attach anyway just for the sake of completeness
but it's the same thing as per the diff that shows here on page 1 in your DOSBox_glide.zip that you added on 07.11.2007 @ 06:33 pm.
That is the last draft with the tomb variable and checks

+// Tomb Raider shadow hack
+static Bit8u tomb = 0;
if(!strncasecmp(RunningProgram, "Tombub", 6)) tomb = 2;

etc.

No other change was made.

I only posted it so that any interested tester can have the chance to get the real thing to work.

Attachments

• Filename
    glide.cpp
    File size
    52.27 KiB
    Downloads
    812 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 48 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Updated the patch on the first patch to compile with current cvs. Haven't really tested a lot, seems to work though 😀 An updated build (with all the other patches) will probably be available on my page in a few days...

Reply 49 of 246, by xtal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, I am new here and I think it is really cool you still care for good old DOS-Games
Like qsonic, I am interested in Archemedian Dynasty. Sounds maybe a bit crazy but I have a VoodooGraphics card (V1) and I am willing to put it into my desktop windows PC. I did not really understand the stuff concerning compiling patches for DosBox.
So my simple question is: If I put the V1 into my PC, how should I proceed to be able to play Archemedian Dynasty using the 3dfx hardware?

Reply 50 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can try dosbox with glide patch (my cvs version should be up to date shortly). If you delete glide2x.dll that is in the dosbox directory, it will use your real voodoo card instead of the wrapper...

Reply 51 of 246, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for your new build gulikoza, it works fine with TR1 on my Radeon HD3850 card (Catalyst 8.2). And Lara's shadow is there at last 😀

Big thanks go to gidierre as well - for investigating and fixing shadow problem and for helping me to make TR1 working on my machine.

Now the only problem with this game concerns transparent walls, but I think it is due to new drivers not compatible with openGlide, similar thing happened to me before on Nvidia card when using Glidos with openGlide, psvoodoo mode worked perfectly.
It would be great if dege would make his dgvoodoo fully compatible with dosbox, though it seems he lost interest in developing this great program.

Reply 52 of 246, by xtal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx for your quick reply and the new build gulikoza!
Does this build include the glide patch? I moved the glide2.dll away and started Archemedean Dynasty in 3dfx mode. It seemed to access a full screen mode. The screen went green with some lines and windows crashed. Does the glide patch need to be applied?
Thx for your effort gulikoza.

Reply 55 of 246, by epithumia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to use the build from February to run Redguard in 3dfx mode, since as fas as I can tell it's the best option for getting it to work on XP64.

When it starts, I see the spinning 3dfx logo, and by playing with the cycle limiter I can get it to run to the point where the title screen is displayed, but then it just sits there for a rather long time (shorter if I then crank up the cycle limit) but then the dosbox just exits after the loading screen has printed "loading sound". If I mount the CD drive in the right place, I also get the intro movies (but when they finish, things exit as before). I also don't get any sound, but I haven't spent much time working that out yet.

If I use the glide2x.dll from dgvoodoo, I do get fullscreen and just before dosbox exits, things switch back to windowed mode. If I use the glide2x.dll that comes with the dosbox build then things stay in windowed mode all the time but dosbox still exits.

I'm probably missing a step somewhere but I'm not yet able to figure out what it is. Any hints would be appreciated.

Reply 56 of 246, by epithumia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And the solution to that problem is bumping memsize to 63. Now I just need to figure out why enabling sound (either digital or midi) crashes dosbox itself (generates the usual windows error report dialog). Sound works fine with the handful of other DOS apps I've tried (the three Eye of the Beholder games).

Reply 57 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Updated the patch to the same level as used by my build. The patch needs cvs >= 2008-09-06 because of environment changes. Hopefully DOS_FIRST_SHELL constant won't change too frequently 😀. Also included the full sources for the OVL file in the second zip + the bat file for building (requires Watcom compiler to build).

Reply 58 of 246, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Erm no guarantees 😀
Usually you can get that value by grabbing your dos-app's psp segment and
tracing the parent fields until psp-seg==parent-seg. But don't know if that's
feasible in your case.
Thanks for the update btw. 😉

Reply 59 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried doing that, but since the OVL is running under DOS4/GW I'm not sure how to do it. Seems easier to directly access the memory...at least for now 😀